Brown's Canyon (and don't refer me to the search link) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-23-2012   #1

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Brown's Canyon (and don't refer me to the search link)

Hey gang,

I am wondering what the camp situation is in Browns for a small group (3 people and a dog). We will be floating a 11ft raft with the gear and have 2 kayakers. I know there are some awesome sites through there for larger groups, but I was wondering about finding a smaller spot to throw down camp in. Any thoughts?

I know there is stuff right above Zoom Flume both river right and left, Big Drop on the right and several others on back upstream.

I would like to try and camp above Zoom Flume if possible to be able to spilt the float (rock dodging) equally between the 2 days.

Discuss...

DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012   #2

Silverthorne, Colorado
Amendment to previous post:

There will be 5 people, an 11ft raft and a 14ft raft with the gear (booze) divided equally and still 2 kayakers and a dog.
Old 07-23-2012   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
A couple of spots above Zoom Floom.

1.) River left. Catch the large eddy on River left, just when you can see the Horizon Line at Zoom. This is where a lot of people eddy out if they are scouting Zoom.

2.) River Right #1, Browns Creek. Directly across the river from #1 on the right side. Hug the right hand shore and catch the large eddy on river right before zoom. You'll know you're in the right spot as this is the Browns Creek Confluence.

3.) Simba Rock. After Pinball, you go by the large Pink Panther Rock. Once past that, there is a rock in the middle of the river that looks like a lion laying down. Pull out in the eddy on river right, lots of flat spots up there.
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Just a heads up that camping is not allowed at the large eddy above zoom on river right...its railroad land and well posted. Besides, you dont want to camp there, too much action in the morning hours...if you are looking for a spot in the canyon (past canyon doors), browns creek is amazing and so is the area directly below big drop, after the left turn...on river right. That is a popular commercial lunch spot though, so heads up.
wheretheriverflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #5

Denver,, exhaustion
trying ....to ...resite urge........
sorry.......
try the search link.
Old 07-23-2012   #6

Silverthorne, Colorado
Does Browns Creek see much overnight action with low water?
Also where do the big companies typically stop in there, AVA, WA, Buff Joes, Runners etc.? I don't want to cause beef with the industry.
Old 07-23-2012   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
OK, since I'm not going to refer you to the search function, I'll go ahead and retype what I've typed a bunch of times before for other folks.

About a mile or so past Ruby Mt, you'll go under a pedestrian footbridge. Start looking for campsites on River Left.

There are campsites all along that stretch. When the river jogs back to the right, pull in immediately below the little rapid and then walk along the bench for about a quarter mile. There will be plenty of sites along that stretch, ending with a pleasant site where there's an old log cabin. The commercials always get the site by Hippo Rock. Don't ever count on it unless you launch at 7 am and are prepared to defend it with buckets of water.

Oh yeah, Brown's Creek is overrated - I think it has about two level spots for one sleeping pad each.

Don't forget to bring a groover. Do a search on Ark + firepan if you're not sure about the regs.

Or you could read this, or this.

Have a good trip,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #8

Silverthorne, Colorado
Andy H,

I had read all of your earlier posts, and he ones from others, which was my logic for not wanted to be directed to the search. Most of what I saw in there was for larger parties and the road accessible sites.

As far as the groover goes, we have one. The fire pan I was going to leave at home based on what AHRA said today on their fire restrictions, but it will pass the NPS inspection for the Grand Canyon so I don't think there would be an issue.

With any of these sites and this years low water levels, will I have to launch at 0'dark:30?
Old 07-23-2012   #9

norcal, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYouEss View Post
Amendment to previous post:

There will be 5 people, an 11ft raft and a 14ft raft with the gear (booze) divided equally and still 2 kayakers and a dog.
I'd be offended that you'd divide the booze equally. If I was the dog.
barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYouEss View Post
With any of these sites and this years low water levels, will I have to launch at 0'dark:30?
DoubleYouEss,

Apologies for being snarky in my earlier post. I appreciate the courtesy you're showing others in searching for small-group campsites and the diligence with which you're doing your homework for taking your friends down the river. It's been a long time since I've run Brown's at this level but it can be done with some creativity at a couple of the rapids.

I may be wrong but I bet the commercial companies are still running two trips a day. So if you launch in the morning, you should still be able to get to a campsite halfway down at a reasonable hour. Maybe you'll even have time for part of your group to do a lap while others set up, lounge and get dinner going for you. It's nice to launch behind the last commercials and have Brown's all to yourself and a the handful of other private boaters.

No matter how crowded Brown's has been in the past, I've never doubted finding a small-group campsite on the stretch I described between the jog in the river and the log cabin ruins.

The outfitters were running Brown's down to 250 cfs in 2002 & 2003. You should be fine if your crew is up for a little adventure of a different sort and more in tune with being in a beautiful place than rocking whitewater.

Ditto to what Southern Sun and others said about spots past Canyon Doors, however the campsites I've mentioned are a sure thing. For me it's usually a "bird in the hand" issue as I don't want to have to keep searching for a vacant campsite that may not exist further down. This year, you should be able to easily find a campsite down there.

Enjoy the weekend,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote