Broken paddles... - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-19-2007   #1

ftc, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Broken paddles...

Im looking for a way to transform some useless broken paddles into useful breakdown paddles. Just wonder how realistic this is and the best way to go about it.

chasingh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007   #2

I think Werner makes a kit for this.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007   #3

Ft Collins, Colorado
I used a Lightning kit and it worked great. For a 3-piece you'll need 2 kits. You want to be very careful to get a good fit - it you don't have the tools, take it to a friend who has the gear to make accurate cuts (use a mitre box, chop saw or similar) and measure carefully.

johng
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007   #4

ftc, Colorado
where do you get a lightning kit and how much does it end up costing for the whole process
Thanks
Old 12-24-2007   #5

Ft Collins, Colorado
Hmm,

Good question. I did a quick web search and couldn't find one. I don't remember where mine came from (maybe the Mountain Shop, which clearly won't help you) - I'd ring some boating stores and see if they have or can order one for you. RMA, Confluence, CSK, Sierra Sourth are all good bets for this.

Be aware that different paddles use different shafts, and you want a kit that fits your particular shaft. I used the Lightning kit with a Lightning paddle so it didn't take much sanding or other screwing around and it fit very tight, which is what you want. The kit was $25-$30.

johng
Old 12-27-2007   #6

Ft Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingh2o View Post
where do you get a lightning kit and how much does it end up costing for the whole process
Thanks
--

I stopped by RMA on my way into town and they had 2 breakdown kits in stock, at $20 each. The kits did were only the ferrule, without a piece of foam to keep water out of the shafts or epoxy. These were branded "RMA" (i.e., not Harmony or Lightning) so I don't know what size shaft they'll fit.

The folks at RMA are friendly; you could call Dave and he'll probably know what they fit and/or don't fit, or take a cut shaft to the shop and try it out. They also had the buttons that go inside shafts (or tent poles, etc) if you want to try something else.

Cheers,
johng
Old 12-27-2007   #7

ftc, Colorado
thanks alot johng Im gonna swing by rma and check out what they have and how it might work with one of my broken paddles.
thanks again for the info