Broken/Lost Paddle Stories - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-04-2010   #1

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Broken/Lost Paddle Stories

All this talk about Wild Bill losing his paddle and carrying his boat 4 miles before we showed up and lent him a break down got me thinking, there are some great lost/broken paddle stories out there and I want to hear them (Lost Paddle on Bailey Stretch posted 10/3/2010 by Wild Bill). So I'll start:

So JDHOG, Bank, and I were paddling Gore for the 10th time or so near the end of our second season when Bank snaps his paddle in half in Gore Rapid after a brief ride in Ginger. Bank being the bad ass that he is continued to roll with half a straight shaft paddle and style the remaining half of Gore rapid. Bank then C1ed through Scissors and Pyrite before we pulled over and lashed the remaining portion of Bank's paddle to a raft paddle with some bailing wire. Turns out a raft paddle will seat nice and tight into the shaft of a standard size straight shaft paddle. Bank then paddled all of the remaining rapids to the take out successfully. Bank being the crazy bastard that he is successfully paddled the same paddle through Gore the next day (with a breakdown on hand of course). Needless to say we all started shopping for breakdowns the next day.

Crazy Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010   #2
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I bring an entire roll of gorilla tape...I figure I can tape together some flat rocks to a stick and make a full length paddle, or make hand paddles real quick; if i can't find at least half my paddle...plus I've learned over and over that all problems can be solved with an entire roll of duct tape...If you do not have a lot of tape with you, You are not properly prepared for everything...I do not need a breakdown to escape; It is always appreciated when someone in my crew can afford one...someday I might get one myself for real cheap...
~Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #3

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
It ain't broke, it just lacks duct tape...
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010   #4
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Turtle surfed outa toilet bowl; he broke his AT paddle in the meat of the hole, witch propelled him out in a stern squirt...Never seen that before, 99.9% failure rate is an understatement...his buddy said the floppy paddle was good enough for him so he gave his AT to Turtle. Turtle paddled a few hundred yards further in to K-Bomb and broke his second AT within five minutes...this was an epic first decent of Gore for Turtle...
~Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #5

Paddling Since: 1979
A long time ago in a place far away, I was guiding a trip down the Cheat in WV at low water. My partner and I were in 'yaks and the customers were in paddle rafts. In the middle of a non-descript rapid they managed to stick a raft on some rocks and were standing in the river in some pretty heavy flowing water. Not wanting any bottom floppers I stopped against a nearby rock to offer instruction. (OK, maybe I was yelling at them!) After that is when the fun started.

A good portion of the river was actually flowing under the rock and as I found out this was a big flat bottomed overhang with about an inch if water covering the bottom edge. When I tried to push off and get a blade in the water I flipped and went right under the overhang. Upsidedown, I reached up past the bottom of the boat and felt nothing but rock. So much for the roll !!! I pulled the skirt and used both hands to get the hell out of that boat. I washed out, then the boat. Never saw the paddle again. On that day, I really didn't care. Ended up finishing the day with a raft paddle. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I just feel lucky that I get to tell that story, could have spent the rest of the day with the paddle.!
minerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #6

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Bank View Post
Turtle surfed outa toilet bowl; he broke his AT paddle in the meat of the hole, witch propelled him out in a stern squirt...Never seen that before, 99.9% failure rate is an understatement...his buddy said the floppy paddle was good enough for him so he gave his AT to Turtle. Turtle paddled a few hundred yards further in to K-Bomb and broke his second AT within five minutes...this was an epic first decent of Gore for Turtle...
Turtle should prolly be telling that story... but I gotta believe 2 ATs in 5 minutes is gonna be hard to beat. BTW, that buddy that ran Kirsh with the broken AT was Andre Spino Smith, one of the greatest off the couch class 5+ paddlers ever.

P.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #7

buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Bank View Post
yes. epic first gore run. Breaking two paddles does have its perks, though. 1) I get a new paddle. 2) Andre gets a new paddle. 3) CKS gets their utility bills paid for the next 4 months.

3 things I learned in gore that day that I will never forget: 1)Tunnels is best run right side up. 2) When someone tells you the sneak at toilet bowl is FAR to the left, it really is FAR to the left. 3)....I forgot.

Great times!!
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote