Broken face - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-19-2008   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Broken face

I have a slight fracture to the check bone below my eye. Any of you boated with the same? I think the swelling has gone down enough to mitigate any risk of infection, and the open wounds should be sealed up by the weekend.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008   #2

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Ask a hockey forum.

I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #3
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
I had a displaced orbital fracture. They went in 3 weeks later and put in 2 titanium plates. Doc was really worried that I would go surfing to soon after the surgery. It's still pins and needles to this day.
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008   #4

Park City, Utah
Mines not displaced, so surgery is not a concern. I just had so much bleeding from the eye socket that I wondered about getting back in the water. As the doctor is the friend of my spouse, I'm asking the forum and not him. I'll probably hold off another week under the idea of better safe than sorry with the eye. What was your doctors specific concern? Impact or infection?
Old 06-19-2008   #5

I crushed my eye socket, broke my nose and fractured my scull. I had mega swelling that I had to wait 2 week for surgery. After a titanium plate, a basket to hold the eye, multiple screws and stitches, I was good to go a six weeks later. Doc told me to not get in the river for at least six weeks because infection is easy to get through the eye socket, which would be a nasty infection to have to deal with. I got lucky and you can hardly see the scars. If I were you, don't take chances of infection and give it awhile.
criddle b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #6
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Same as above. Dr. did not want me in the water for fear of infection. I would give it 6 to 8 weeks to heal and get better. It's better to be patient now than risk not boating for the rest of your life.
Old 06-19-2008   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Hmm, I had a friend w/ a similar injury, who did end up needing surgery, and he ran Gore like that and came out ok, but I don't know that it was such a good idea. He also had no open wounds.

That comment is probably totally unhelpful, but really I wanted to ask if this happened boating and if you had a full face helmet when it happened / if you you think there was some form of face protection that might have prevented it.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #8

C.O.
On one hand you have a fun day on the river..... A few hours. And maybe you could get an infection that could lead to blindness in that eye..... For the rest of your life.

On the other hand you could let the high water go by this year and enjoy a long Fall season of above average flows after the chance of loosing an eye has greatly diminished... And you won't be wearing a pirate's eye patch during next years high water.

I know which choice I would make.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #9

Hi,

The old geezer on the board (who perpetually feels aches and pains resulting from past decades of ignoring doctors and letting testosterone make decisions for him) advises you to do exactly what your doctor tells you.

A couple of extra weeks off the water is no trade at all against the possibility of permanent damage of some unknown type.

But then I never was much for taking other people's advice, so why should anyone take mine.....

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #10

Park City, Utah
Sounds like time off is in order.

Thanks all for the feedback.

I was cutting wood in my yard for a camp fire and using a short axe to break the pieces into piece that would fit in my fire pan. Half of the log I was breaking in two shot up and nailed my face. Very much a fluke.

I do always wear a face mask, but am currently upgrading to the Lucas Turner helmet with the face mask attachment. The face mask is not as beefy as my old one, but I think it will do the trick for boating, and I think their helmet will be retentive in situations where I've had mine come off in the past.