Boulder Creek under construction - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-13-2014   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Boulder Creek under construction

All water is diverted around the play park, and they have built a coffer dam above the Widow Maker and the equipment is icing there to do whatever it is they are going to do to it.

The only water in the channel is what gets through the seams in the wooden head gate. Way less than a single CFS. Kinda neat to see everything in each pool.

I know Gary Lacy is going to step up and deliver the best feature possible as this gets re-worked.

Riley and I picked up a fair amount of litter from below the normal low water line, but the are a few things that could be roomed pretty easily if one had a dry suit, or dry clothes to quickly change into. A broken fishing rod and shopping cart parts are 2-3 ' under water in the polls right above the Widow Maker.

I am hoping that the new feature will justify some releases to test it. I hope we get ample notice to take advantage of it, and that they can time it with decent weather.

Props to David Holtzman for tirelessly writing to the city staff and motivating others to do the same.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014   #2

Gary Lacey and his company, Recreation Engineering and Planning (REP), have an excellent reputation for building play parks I know they will do a good job fixing widow maker. Maybe Boulder can have a professional white water competition.
David H
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014   #3

CCC, CO
How many drops are they reconstructing? Just widow maker? Once flows hit about 400 I saw lots of carnage at widow maker. It will be nice to have a good play feature or two in the "whitewater park" but that nasty widow maker drop definitely defined the run at higher flows and probably not in a good way

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
benR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Well, the backhoe has made quick work of Widow Maker, AKA Endo Hole. It will be cool to watch what happens next.

The hole just above Widow Maker is interesting to see without water - looks like a few larger rocks have moved downstream and it might be nice to see them moved back up as that drop has taken on a nastier element in recent years, IMO.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4476.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	9184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4478.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	9185  

Name:	IMG_4484.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	9186  
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The Boulder play park is pretty silly in general, but Widow Maker is the silliest of them all. Hope the improvements work. I certainly appreciate the efforts that have been made to take some action in the post flood reconstruction.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014   #6

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I think that the plaque at the top of Elephant Buttress refers to it as a "whitewater park" rather than a "play park." This title makes more sense for what it actually is... but it would be great if they put in at least one good play feature! Does anyone know what the intent is, beyond making widow maker less retentive?
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #7

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
We need a river left waterfall channel bypassing every couple drops for a few nice 10-15fters!

And let's add a 200 cfs pump/line at the bottom of the park that recircs water back to BB continuously!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #8

Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 97
The park might be considered silly now but, it was manufactured when boats were much longer, narrower and prior to modern day play boating. Hopefully the new park will be an improvement.
Hey Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #9

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Widow Maker in Boulder Creek under major construction

Could barely recognize where Widow Maker was other than the concrete on the side of the creek.
Major work being done and I am excited to see what Gary Lacy of Recreation Engineering & Planning and crew are about to create.
I am sure he will do a stellar job and when the project is done I am sure it will be sweet.

photos at: Untitled Document
david c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014   #10

Boulder, Colorado
As of 8AM this morning Widow Maker now has a concrete 'berm' across the top (bottom of the photo) and a sloping ramp downstream leading into the pool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4541.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	790.3 KB
ID:	9194  
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boulder, boulder creek