Boulder Creek is Closed from Boulder Falls to Town! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-21-2014   #1

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Boulder Creek is Closed from Boulder Falls to Town!

Hoping this is short lived, we have been having some low water fun on it!

Boulder Creek to be closed to swimmers and watercraft during debris cleanup
Beginning Tuesday, April 22, 2014 the City of Boulder (by emergency rule) and Boulder County Sheriff’s Office will close Boulder Creek to facilitate the cleanup of sediment and debris left as a result of the September 2013 flood. The closure will remain in effect until the restoration work is completed.
During the closure, there will be no swimming, floating (including inner tubes), canoeing or kayaki...ng in the creek inside city limits, and in Boulder County there will be no floating (including inner tubes), canoeing, or kayaking. Heavy construction equipment is being used to dredge and restore the waterway, and the equipment could be dangerous to swimmers or those using watercraft or other flotation devices. Hazards left by the flood include tree branches, rocks and concrete blocks with exposed rebar.
In Boulder County, Boulder Creek will be closed from Boulder Falls to the City of Boulder’s western limits. In the City of Boulder, Boulder Creek will be closed from the western city limits through the city to the eastern city limits, located at approximately 75th Street and Jay Road.
The Boulder City Manager has issued an emergency rule that makes it a violation of Boulder Municipal Ordinance 5-5-20 (Unlawful Conduct on Public Property) to swim or use any watercraft in the water while the repair work is being conducted. Police will enforce the rule and may issue citations to people found violating the emergency rule.
It is violation of Colorado Revised Statute to disobey this closure and violators may receive a fine of up to $100.00.
Boulder Fire-Rescue will accept public comment on the emergency rule for 30 days before deciding whether to extend the rule. Comments may be directed to the fire department at 303-441-4178

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
oh, thank god! now my friends don't have to see what a pussy I am, and I don't need any more excuses....

That sucks, but im partially glad it's not being reg'd by FEMA.

I think we're gonna get "f'ed in the A" in a few more places other than Boulder creek as well. Parts of the St Vrain if not all of it will be closed. Big Thompson for sure, and it will be interesting to see what happens to LSB/eldo and NSV/SSV and USB.

I think all the big boy stuff, USB, NSV will be easy to evade detection, though getting out of NSV might be a problem. I think proving grounds is out for this season. USB should be ok, LSB not so much, we shall see.

I have no idea what im talking about anyway, just speculating and worried.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
This sounds like a potential disaster if they're sending gung-ho guys with backhoes out there to "clean up" the creek. Is there any information on what they plan to do or any indication the work's being overseen by someone who thinks creeks function as something other than drainage culverts?
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014   #4

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
My understanding is yes, Gary Lacy has his hands in it. From what I have seen, things look good. We still have some of the ledgy drops in the park proper, but there has been some improve drops and some drops that they did not rebuild that have made it more natural with Boulders below Ebin G fine.
Old 04-21-2014   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Creek looked like it doubled since yesterday.

My understanding is that S&R went to do some training and found rebar and other junk just below the park. Not sure if they've suggested the closure, or if guys in excavators don't want to worry about hitting a boater while digging.

They seem to be doing a nice job with what they are doing.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
My understanding is yes, Gary Lacy has his hands in it. From what I have seen, things look good. We still have some of the ledgy drops in the park proper, but there has been some improve drops and some drops that they did not rebuild that have made it more natural with Boulders below Ebin G fine.
Whew!

I guess that's the nice thing about living in Boulder. They don't just go in with bulldozers and backhoes and a "Pave it and drain it" mentality.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #7

Berthoud, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
My understanding is that this is being driven by Boulder Fire department. Notice the 30 day public comment period, which hopefully everyone will take full advantage of.
kparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Whew!

I guess that's the nice thing about living in Boulder. They don't just go in with bulldozers and backhoes and a "Pave it and drain it" mentality.
Andy it's obvious you haven't been around Boulder County in the past four months. If it makes you feel better they aren't using bulldozers and backhoes, just excavators and loaders. If there weren't a lot of dedicated people volunteering the rivers would very much be "pave it and drain it". Cdot is the biggest culprit, but I believe they are trying the best they can in the past month or so.

No guarantees in Lyons yet, but Meadow and Bohn Parks will be closed to paddling. Efforts are being made to make black bear and a-hole usable this summer. Lyons Outdoor Games will be held May 31 and pending approval by the board of trustees will have paddling events. No ssv race this year.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #9

Boulder, Colorado
IMO they are doing a good job. We paddled above EGF to Broadway tonight after reading the city closure press release. The kayak course is much as before with the top drop above the big pool a lot like before. Boulder garden below widow maker is channelized with no rr eddies. More of a right line at the bottom of EGF. 5th St wave working. 9th st wave completely rebuilt, glassy and powerful. Fun chute where they are working at the Chief Niwot statue drop - more to come.
From what I understand Gary lacy is managing the design very hands on for the city and should be thanked. They have done a huge amount of sediment removal to regain the pool/drop structures and are remaking 6 or so of the Bigger drops to be rebuilt to be more fun/safe features.

That all said, I wonder why any reaches above current or planned reconstruction need to be under Jane Brautigam's closure? Of course they don't want boats and tubes in the water next to the backhoes in active construction areas. We need to respect the work that is ongoing and not create conflicts but we can ask about the parts that have been completed. We saw a few sticks in the water today, no rebar, nothing unusual for spring.... Great to be back on the water.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #10

As I recall there is a state law that prevents local authorities from closing creeks to hard shell boaters. Might that be relevant here?

Previous high water bans on Boulder Creek have been limited to tubers. Fire dept typically jumps the gun and tries to ban kayaks. Then we have to explain the law all over again.

I have no problem with being courteous and observant and portage around any active work sites. But closing Boulder Creek during one of best run off seasons in long time is unacceptable.
treewell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boulder, boulder creek