Boulder Creek after the flood? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-19-2014   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Boulder Creek after the flood?

Boulder creek snowpack is looking large. Shaping up to be a great season on boulder creek. After the flood there were pics of gaurd rails in the creek and lots of debris. Anybody got an update on what boulder creek is looking like now as we get poised for runoff? Has the debris been removed? Normal blue bridge down run look good to go?

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Should be good above Fourmile, no?From Fourmile through Buttress and the playpark seemed to bear the brunt of the floods ....gotta be changed significantly....hopefully for the better...you would think Boulder would remove hazzardous debris in those stretches...maybe a big ongoing job....sure Dave and others will clue us in...FWIW I figured out where the 'new ' drop on Lefthand is ...it is not new but newly exposed and appears improved....just. 1/4 mile below the normal takeout park there was a culvert that got washed away along with the road, just below this is /was about a 4 to 5 ft drop with a pour over on one side and more of a ledge on the other...it is close to the road but was obscured from view by bushes and on private property so you could not scout it ...now the bushes are scoured away so you can see it....there was a large tree across the creek between the takeout and this drop before the flood, it either blew out or is even nastier now ...there is public access downriver from the 'new ' drop....
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
There are few river wide trees between BBridge and four mile. Four mile down was clear enough for the run we did in October. The hoe was working above buttresses since then and I've not looked too closely.

Sediment revival through town and drop structure. Work is just getting started.

A bike scout seems on order. Actually regular bike scouting reports would be ideal. Sounds like a good Riley assignment.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I like the Riley assignment.

Seems like there is a lot more work to do on all the front range creeks than in a normal year. I think SSV is going to be covered. Talking to folks about bear, which may run this year too depending on how much snow mt. evans gets. Clear creek is good to go. Been wondering about boulder creek and big T.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #5

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
County or CDOT has been working along Boulder Creek this past week. They were noticing our clearing work from last week below Castlerock to the narrows. They were taking the easy stuff up here. Hopefully, they do more in the lower stretches. It is definitely going to be different in spot from 4 mile down.
Old 03-21-2014   #6

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
We saw them up there working last week as well. I assume their motivation is to clear debris so it doesn't wash down stream and become an issue when our totally awesome snow pack begins to melt.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #7

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Boulder creek snowpack is looking large. Shaping up to be a great season on boulder creek. After the flood there were pics of gaurd rails in the creek and lots of debris. Anybody got an update on what boulder creek is looking like now as we get poised for runoff? Has the debris been removed? Normal blue bridge down run look good to go?
Since boaters and anglers are in, on and along the streams and get the best perspectives while doing so, how about organizing a Before/During/After image/video with GPS project on, say, Google Maps in new Buzz image/video galleries to more clearly document boating recreation spots and new or future potential flooding repair/restoration spots for county planners, etc.?

The only tough part is being around the water to primarily document rather than boat or fish but, hey, that image or video could save a life.
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #8

Leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Boulder creek had some major changes in it's creek bed and it will be very interesting to boat on the new version in the spring. Looking forward to it! I've seen a few large trees crossing the entire creek that really need to go. Also, just below Cobb Rock, the excavators seemed to clean up the entrance to that steep rapid. The F. U.(blade) rock is gone...

On another exciting note, S. Boulder creek through lower Eldorado is going to be a completely different animal! I think it will be a way friendlier run and a totally new challenge. The creek bed was carved out 5-10 feet deeper in spots and left beautiful polished slabs and boulders in a very natural way. Looking at it from up on the walls, I think it's going to be an amazing pool drop run, with huge eddies and stout, clean drops! Time will tell........
MILTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #9

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILTY View Post
Boulder creek had some major changes in it's creek bed and it will be very interesting to boat on the new version in the spring. Looking forward to it! I've seen a few large trees crossing the entire creek that really need to go. Also, just below Cobb Rock, the excavators seemed to clean up the entrance to that steep rapid. The F. U.(blade) rock is gone...

On another exciting note, S. Boulder creek through lower Eldorado is going to be a completely different animal! I think it will be a way friendlier run and a totally new challenge. The creek bed was carved out 5-10 feet deeper in spots and left beautiful polished slabs and boulders in a very natural way. Looking at it from up on the walls, I think it's going to be an amazing pool drop run, with huge eddies and stout, clean drops! Time will tell........
Talking dirty to me
DavyCrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #10

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Getting excited for all the new runs!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boulder, boulder creek