Boulder Creek 2015 (guage?) - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-22-2015   #1

Boulder Creek 2015 (guage?)

Hey all,
I'm wondering if the Orodell gauge is busted? I see the creek daily and it doesn't seem like 43 cfs...

Secondly, I wanted to start a conversation about who might be interested in paddling Boulder Creek Play park on a lunchly time slot this season? I am a relatively experienced paddler happy to meet up with anyone during my lunch break. With a 17 month old, I am not allowed to kayak after work anymore, and also not allowed to play alone. Nearly all my paddling buddies have either moved away or given up the sport, or both, so I need new friends!!

So if you want to join me for lunch paddles let me know! I'm happy to offer unsolicited advice, chase boats, practice play, etc. I got one whole day last season and I really don't want to repeat that!!!

redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Not that I'm aware of, but it's possible the calibration is a bit off. You're looking in town? This early there's some extra flow that comes in between the gauge and town. There's a gauge at 75th st. as well.

Once it comes up I might be interested in a lunch run down the canyon section.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #3

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I bet 4 mile an few others are putting water in below the Orodell gauge.
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015   #4

ah, I suppose so. But even yesterday when I was at the park it looked paddlable, not fat, but the holes were pretty in and you could probably keep your head on
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Is the 75th Street gauge the best one to look at for the in town run (below Eben G Fine)?
Old 04-22-2015   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin_smith View Post
Is the 75th Street gauge the best one to look at for the in town run (below Eben G Fine)?
No, I don't think so. There used be one right there at the park, but it doesn't seem to be operating anymore. There's a 4 mile one:
USGS Current Conditions for USGS 06727500 FOURMILE CREEK AT ORODELL, CO

That one's especially useful during a big rain event since the fire damage means a lot more rain runoff into the creek.

I would add that to the Orodell Boulder Creek one and figure a tad more coming in by the time you get the park this early.

I don't tend to fret about the different degrees of low. It's low until Barker spills and by then the feeders don't make much difference.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015   #7

legend
I think the best gauge to look at for the town run is the gauge that is located at Broadway. It's called "Boulder creek At Boulder" . That is also the gauge the sheriff uses when he closes the creek for single chamber inflatables.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015   #8

Boulder, Colorado
BOCOBOCO was the best. The DWR site lists it as DIScontinued and there's been no data reported for a while.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015   #9

Independently Wealthy
YO Redbeard

Not much of a Gauge Guy but drove past kayak course today at lunch and it's good to go. I am heading up after work and I am sure others will too. In Boulder anytime it rains hard for a few days the creek is usually good regardless of what the gauges say. See ya at the Widowmaker.
deforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
We ran from buttresses to the library last night. 135 Cfs by adding the Orodell gauges. Bony for buttresses, but the park is clean and the new wave seems promising. Thanks Gary and city of Boulder. I would say this is a better option than golden if the four mile flow holds.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boulder, boulder creek