Boulder Creek: 1st swim at Little Niagara - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-27-2014   #1

Boulder Creek: 1st swim at Little Niagara

Maybe I'm the first swim at the new drop, Saturday 4/26 4:30 pm.

First run of the year. Zero roll attempts in 2014. Put in at mouth of canyon.

Driving up I glanced at the new drop and looked like a nice slot down the middle. Should have paddled with some power and/or boofed a bit. Instead went deep into hole, flipped, got pushed against the big rock river right on my onside.

There were two girls in long tie-dyed skirts sitting on the rock. While trying a couple roll attempts pushed against the rock I could hear one of them panicked that I might drown. About the time I'd pulled sprayskirt she jumped in to rescue. She didn't appreciate how strong current was and I thought I might have to jump back in to pull her out.

Anyway that is start of my season. Overall the refurbed creek looks really nice. Some old favorite features are gone but many other new and improved. We'll see the full range of conditions in next few weeks.

So big thanks to Gary Lacy and the city's excavation dudes.

treewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I thought that thing looked sticky. So the would be rescuer was getting recirced as a swimmer?

That hole really needs to be designed for recreational safety. It would be really lame if they've created a drowning machine right there in the park.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #3

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
At least they reopened the creek

Widow maker has always been a keeper type hole. I've never heard the term little niagra before but likely it is the drop a bit lower that has also always been a bit dicey.

I don't know if that is the one being referred to here but whether it is a re-shaped river or not it is important to suss the situation and decide whether to run it or not. The river is one HOLE of a lot better than it was in 1984 when I started paddling the creek and much of that is thanks to Gary L.

I'm glad also to hear that Gary is working w/ them on whatever clean out they are doing. Definitely lets give feedback but the first comment was verging on placing blame. Its not a season without a few swims. Glad that the season is here.

Maybe I should brin my portaging shoes, though I normally do
Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014   #4

>>I've never heard the term little niagra before.

Me neither 'til this spring. It is the drop above the dam that is the start of Eben fine. It used to be a rock pile that shifted over the years and broke apart during flood.

>>So the would be rescuer was getting recirced as a swimmer.

Not recycled and fortunately she wasn't all the way in the hole. But right side of hole pushes up against the river right rock.

>>It would be really lame if they've created a drowning machine right there in the park.

Hopefully not. But it has a lot of force at low water and the flow dives deep.

>>That hole really needs to be designed for recreational safety.

Agreed. Boulder Creek has always had gnarly spots but they've all had sneaks. When I paddle tomorrow I'll be looking for a sneak for sure.
treewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #5

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Certainly a dicey drop too

Basically that is the end of the Hard run and as I like to put in at the old Arapahoe bridge, the beginning of my town run. Will stand warned on that.

Not sure if they moved anything in there "post flood" or not. I like to look at that one but too often do not (bonk).
Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Landis, little Niagra is the drop above the pool created by the damn at the top of he course.

I'm not too worries about kayakers getting beat down: they expect it.
If it is a tractor beam that can get recreational swimmers then it probably ought to get reworked. I'm not saying it is. Have to see it with water.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #7

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
The reconstructed drop has gotten stickier as the water has risen. I was running off the left side at low water and enjoying. This weekend with a little higher water, I boofed the left side into the hole, it stopped and flipped me. I then ran it left to right with out a problem. It will be interesting to see what happens with higher water.
Old 04-29-2014   #8

alta, Utah
Got my swim over with early this year too. Just returned from the the Kern 50th river celebration the day after easter. When I arrived in Kernville 10 days prior, I thought I would ease into my season and the first day of my 10 day vacation out there by running the class III section below Isabelle dam....I didn't know that section became one big sieve at this low water level. The guidebook and the sign at the put in both said "class III". I tore up my guidebook and used it to start my campfire at the take out. Had to use my headlamp for the last 2 miles of that nasty little section. That ups the intensity a little. Some stupid MF strung a climbing rope at river level all the way across one drop. I cut one side and was untying the other side while holding onto a rock above a steep Toothy" looking rapid with three slots to choose from. Wouldn't you know it the moment I got it untied and was trying to stow it....A surge in the eddy line i was spanning dumped a bunch of water in my my Jefe, made me lose my grip on the rock, and as I was struggling to put my skirt back on and hold my paddle it lined me up and flushed me through door # 3 (the shitty one I wanted to be sure and avoid). I had no chance of rolling or escaping from where I was pinned...exited immediately. Another hour to pull my water filled Jefe Grande from it's pin spot (Hey, I had an extra piece of rope to work with). Anyone else here ever run the 6-mile section of lower Kern between dam and sand flats or power plant camp at this level? What did you think? BA

No, I am not ripping on sandbagging guidebook authors or anyone else. I could have asked about conditions at the local store (SierraSouth) and done better homework...I was paddling alone and take full responsibility for the choices I made. I just burned the guidebook cause i was cold.
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #9
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Got my swim over with early this year too. Just returned from the the Kern 50th river celebration the day after easter. When I arrived in Kernville 10 days prior, I thought I would ease into my season and the first day of my 10 day vacation out there by running the class III section below Isabelle dam....I didn't know that section became one big sieve at this low water level. The guidebook and the sign at the put in both said "class III". I tore up my guidebook and used it to start my campfire at the take out. Had to use my headlamp for the last 2 miles of that nasty little section. That ups the intensity a little. Some stupid MF strung a climbing rope at river level all the way across one drop. I cut one side and was untying the other side while holding onto a rock above a steep Toothy" looking rapid with three slots to choose from. Wouldn't you know it the moment I got it untied and was trying to stow it....A surge in the eddy line i was spanning dumped a bunch of water in my my Jefe, made me lose my grip on the rock, and as I was struggling to put my skirt back on and hold my paddle it lined me up and flushed me through door # 3 (the shitty one I wanted to be sure and avoid). I had no chance of rolling or escaping from where I was pinned...exited immediately. Another hour to pull my water filled Jefe Grande from it's pin spot (Hey, I had an extra piece of rope to work with). Anyone else here ever run the 6-mile section of lower Kern between dam and sand flats or power plant camp at this level? What did you think? BA

No, I am not ripping on sandbagging guidebook authors or anyone else. I could have asked about conditions at the local store (SierraSouth) and done better homework...I was paddling alone and take full responsibility for the choices I made. I just burned the guidebook cause i was cold.
Since this is turning into a swim thread I can one up all of you. Messing around in Golden last week I got a bout of vertigo after getting a bunch of water in my ear (forgot my ear plugs). We were messing around and following an entire college (I hope?) tennis team, in short tennis skirts and all down the river. They were taking group photos or something… anyways you could smell the sweet perfume of college girls in the spring time before you could even see them. I'm now sitting in the eddy right next to them, paddle on the shore, helmet off, trying to shake the water out of my ear. Vertigo hits me again, I slip off the rock and immediately flip, bashing my un-helmeted head on a rock making me more dizzy, and cutting my hand open trying to right myself grabbing onto who knows what. Yes I swam.
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post

Yes I've run it. Lived in LA for 2 years and the Kern was my local river. I only ran that section 1 time and it was in July right after I moved there. My wife and I were by ourselves and since we didn't know any of the runs decided on that section. Met some locals at the put in though that we followed down. It is really easy class III and was a nice scenic run. Usually you don't run the lower kern until they start letting water out which is usually mid to late june so I've never run at the level you probably did.
Did you happen to get on Chamoix, thunder run later in the week?
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boulder, boulder creek