Boulder CO - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-03-2010   #1

Red Wing, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2005
Boulder CO

Hi Everyone,
I am going to be in Boulder over Labor Day and was wondering what was running in the area at that time of the season. I read there is a playpark through town...does this run all the time? Any information would be appreciated. I'd be interested in up to class IV. Thanks!
Nora

SeaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Boulder will likely be dead by then (pretty dead now). For you: North Fork of the South Platte River (Foxton, Waterton Canyon; Deckers, too) would be the closest that time of year, unless Clear Creek in Golden is running... I'm sure others will have more tips for you.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I agree about the South Platte through Foxton and Waterton. They're two of my favorite late season runs, and probably two of your best bets. If you're in the mood for a play park you should check out Lions too. I haven't checked what the flow's like in a while but you could take a look at Lower South Boulder Creek if it's not too low already...
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Play park

Here is about the only play park in town running this time of year; but it's pretty good.

Home
Old 08-04-2010   #5

Red Wing, Minnesota
Thanks Marc and Vito...I looked at some photos and it looks like what I'd like.
I'll keep an eye on that gauge.
Old 08-04-2010   #6

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
I suggest at any flow to ditch running the Boulder Play Park, sticky holes and not a lot of fun.
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010   #7
Have paddled a Quest

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Further afield (2+hr drive): Lower Blue will be running- class III out of Green Mtn Res. As will Gore (IV/V) and Shoshone (III) on the Colorado. Don't know if the October Hole in the Lyons play park ever runs that early, but that might be another option.
Old 08-05-2010   #8

Boulder, Colorado
In Lyons, just 20 minutes north of Boulder, the October Hole will run at least until October. It's a fun play wave when nothing else is running; I end up there myself after everything else has died. Good mountain biking nearby makes for a nice double day, too... And the local brewery isn't too bad either.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
In Lyons, just 20 minutes north of Boulder, the October Hole will run at least until October. It's a fun play wave when nothing else is running; I end up there myself after everything else has died. Good mountain biking nearby makes for a nice double day, too... And the local brewery isn't too bad either.
I rode by O-hole a few days ago and it had water coming from Carter res. I go there a few evenings too. The Silo Burger at Oskar Blues (Lyons Brewpub) is really good. Helps build up that winter fat we all like...
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010   #10

Red Wing, Minnesota
I wish I had more vacation days! I like a good brewery..esp if they have good stout! Thanks for all the tips..I'll probably only have a day to sneak away from the family and get on the river. Gore is on my should I or shouldn't I list.

Tags
boulder