Boulder Canyon TR - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2015   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Boulder Canyon TR

Boulder Creek is at nice padded level. Gauge read 465 tonight, but we all felt it seemed a bit more, at least compared to the calibration we are used to.

Ran from Blue Bridge to the library. Lots of good boofs, and much more continuous whitewater than lower clear creek with twice the flows, and not as spicy as Black Rock.

If you are a first timer, scout the first rapid out of town, buttresses, Road Cut and the little bridge boof, all from the drive up. Launch form the big pull out below the Blue Bridge, or go just above it for a shotgun start with a series of ledges for your cold shoulders to loosen up on.

I'd call it IV- with the Three IV+ rapids mentioned above.

The ski jump-flake rock entrance to Buttresses looks like you will piton it, but it is good to go and not to be missed.

The widow maker in the course is no longer a death trap, nor is it the fun wave we hoped for.

The best play seems to be right above broadway in the library parking lot, and the waves and holes by the high school. I haven;t floated below 17th in a while, but 30th and 38th both make good takeouts and the Fate Brewery is at the 38th the out.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015   #2

Denver, Colorado
Haven't been up there since the floods,are the Justice Center and Backyard Holes changed much? There used. to be another good highwater play spot about 100 yds. upstream of the greenhouse,the one with the tree limb protruding part way over it...
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #3

Boulder, Colorado
The Justice center wave has been rebuilt for the worse, and the greenhouse wave is either gone or possibly hiding in a strainer. Another decent hole is the ledge about in the middle of the CU area, below the missing Ho Chi Minh bridge. The double waves right below said bridge should be skirted to the left to avoid strainers on the right bank.

I have been told that IV minus for the canyon may be seen as sandbagging, and that it deserves a solid IV rating.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2015   #4

Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
High school section has 2 -3 quality play holes
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
The Justice center wave has been rebuilt for the worse, and the greenhouse wave is either gone or possibly hiding in a strainer. Another decent hole is the ledge about in the middle of the CU area, below the missing Ho Chi Minh bridge. The double waves right below said bridge should be skirted to the left to avoid strainers on the right bank.

I have been told that IV minus for the canyon may be seen as sandbagging, and that it deserves a solid IV rating.
I agree IV- is sandbagging for this run. This is not a good run for somebody just starting on class IV.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #6

CCC, CO
Are "Road Cut" and "the little bridge boof" above or below Fourmile... ran it a few days ago from 4-mile but wasn't aware of any named rapids besides Buttress, and didn't boat anything that felt like it was in the same difficulty as Buttress (besides what i assume could be considered the top section of buttress--before it goes around the buttress-- which we didn't really scout since we were preoccupied with the lower rapid, and gave me a good scary surf before we pulled out and walked the rest).

Walked Buttress because we really didn't like the strainer half way across the creek at the bottom end of the meat... worth scouting just to gauge how you feel about that--I'm sure it goes fine if you're on line, but I didn't like the penalty points for being off line or swimming. Buttress seemed a bit too heavy for me (someone who doesn't boat V and boats some IV), but it may boat easier than it looks...

I've run town section a half dozen times this year - library seems like the best park'n'play, whereas the High School Holes are alot of fun on the fly. I would say (with no playboating expertise) that some of the Boulder Creek surf holes are at least as good as Golden (which may not be saying a lot), at some levels. Other stuff through town is surfable but may be a bit less friendly.
benR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
This is great thread to use to post any hazards in the canyon. Seems like there are a fair number of little logs that aren't currently in a bad spot but could move around and cause trouble.

That's what always scares me the most about this run is turning a corner and not being able to stop.

I agree that a class IV- boater would have trouble on the run - I think maybe even a IV boater even though there's nothing really class V at this level.

benR - yes those are above 4 mi, near the Sugarloaf road intersection. Imo the blue bridge putin makes the run worth it, otherwise it's pretty short with only 1 good rapid. Buttress runs pretty smoothly right now. The water really isn't pushing towards the tree on river left half way down, so I don't think it's in play very much, but it's true that it could present an hazard if you came through the top swimming or completely out of control. yes, it probably boats easier than it looks, but is also unforgiving if you get messed up.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
There's a large log in the 4 mile stretch that moved with the recent flow bump. As of this morning it is in the right side of the left channel just above the foot bridge at/just above the Buttress. You can still run that channel if you stay left. The right channel is also just fine. Keep an eye on it because if it moves again it could cause trouble.

Otherwise the run is fairly clean, although there are lots of little things. Dave made a good point that the broken down bridge abutment just after the dam drop (above 4 mile) often collects wood in the left and center channels. I always go right because of this and apparently Dave has the same strategy.

The giant log across the river just a bit above 4 mile is getting a little tight. I ended up rolling up there, though Dave got under it right side up.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Great flows this morning. 600 on the gauge. But seemed higher. The low bridges up top are tight and the run really starts with a bang.

Running dawn patrol has the added benefit of being in the peak of the diurnal flux. Solidly 20% higher at 6am than the previous run at 7 pm last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Old 06-05-2015   #10

diurnal flux?
David H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boulder