booze in utah - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-06-2010   #1

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
booze in utah

a friend just told me about this, so I had to look it up. Utah laws says no booze to be brought in from out of state. It's never stopped me before, but I wonder if anyone has ever been hassled for this.
Can I bring alcoholic beverages into Utah from another state?

It is ILLEGAL to go to another state, purchase the booze and bring it back to Utah. It is ILLEGAL to receive alcoholic beverages through the US Postal service or any other courier service. The exceptions are listed below.

Utah code annotated 32a-12-212 states, "A person may not have or possess within this state any liquor unless authorized by this title or the rules of the commission, except that: (a) a person who clears United States Customs when entering this country may have or possess for personal consumption and not for sale or resale, a maximum amount of one liter of liquor purchased from without the United States; or (b) a person who moves his residence to this state from outside of this state may have or possess for personal consumption and not for sale or resale, any liquor previously purchased outside the state and brought into this state during the move, if: (i) the person first obtains department approval prior to moving the liquor into the state; (ii) the department affixes the official state label to the liquor; and (iii) the person pays the department a reasonable administrative handling fee as determined by the commission.

CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010   #2

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
i was stopped & rousted once. the only thing he could find after 25 minutes (w/me standing in the rain) was an old coors can I had been spitting in since California.

When he read out the serial # on the can, i couldn't figure out why. when he wrote it down I got nervous.

he gave me the speech about bringing booze into the motherland, but said he was going to be "cool" and not write me for it because there wasn't really any booze it it. then he wrote me an open container ticket. bastard. when i asked him to show me the law that said i couldn't have a can full of chew spit he gave me the "we can do this the easy way, or the hard way" speech.

bastard.

never actually heard of anyone getting popped for it. but they are within their "rights" to make as big a deal out of it as they want to.
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
I spent a night in jail after bringing back about 40 cases of beer. They took all the beer, and tried to charge me with illegal transport of alcohol. They lost the case, but still took all my beer. Be careful in the land of Zion. BTW, we were stopped at a roadblock.
Skyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010   #4

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Sooo not much has changed in 150 years, at least they quit massacring everyone passing through.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #5

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
I've heard about the road block psych-out they do there on occasion. Post a sign that says police check point ahead, and than bust every dumbass that takes the next ranch exit.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Rob View Post
I've heard about the road block psych-out they do there on occasion. Post a sign that says police check point ahead, and than bust every dumbass that takes the next ranch exit.
Yeah, and everyone who turns around. Us locals have that down. What really gets people nervous are the drug sniffing dogs the police have at the roadblocks. I guess now, they have to post in the paper, where they are going to have the roadblocks. I was stopped at a roadblock a couple years ago with my wife and daughter, he checked my ID, did a check and proceeded to bust my balls about some trouble I got into 30 years ago. Barney Fife looking for the BIG BUST.
Skyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
Since alcohol is a bust (literally), take prescription meds with you. They love em more than candy, you can probably bribe your way right through. Not sure how coors is bad and percocet is ok but thats not the only thing that confuses me about Utah.
Old 05-06-2010   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
Sooo not much has changed in 150 years, at least they quit massacring everyone passing through.
Are you SURE they're done doing that? I get a little anxious around the People of the Sacred Temple Garments.
Old 05-06-2010   #9

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have a friend that got fined something close to $1000 for a car full of booze. It was something like a boot legging ticket, have know of other having their ski boats ransacked and all booze poured out on the shoulder.

The new favorite place for the road block is at La Sal junction. I rolled though last summer after a 14 day trip. Luckily I had expended all my resources the last day, and Johnny Law and Fido were quite disapointed.

Look up the Utah liquor law page. Kegs are illegal, it is illegal to be drunk, and also illegal be with someone that is drunk.

Also if you have the nerve to stop in Monticello, buy the San Juan Record (weekly rag) and look at the police blotter, it's a who's who of Colorado residents

Utah: the 'Beehave' state.
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #10
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
I did see the westy ranger take a keg from some folks a couple years ago. After getting heckled, the volunteer ranger had a pow wow with the other rangers and eventually gave it back.

We got done in Monticello headed out to Indian Creek. with a "few" kegs in the back of the truck. The sherrif wanted to take them, we told him they were water and he asked us to prove it. We tapped one that actually had water in it and he seemed convinced. We got a speeding ticket and off we went.

I have many fun stories of the land of LDS. I now travel "light".

One of my favorites: I got stopped for hitchhiking in Arches. Taken to the pokey and let go after 14 hours with no charges. It was 4:30 in the morning and I got told that I could not camp in town nor would they give me a ride out of town. I walked up to slickrock and arrived about 7am. Great night.