Boating with an injury - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-07-2012   #1

Avon, of mind?
Boating with an injury

So I blew out my Achilles playing capture the flag with my students on the last day of school... Sounds like a summer of "seated activity" for me. It'll be 6-8 weeks till I can walk without assistance sticks - 12 till I can wear a regular shoe.

So my question is: Is it irresponsible to boat with an injury that could prevent me from being super helpful gearing up/down, around camp and in a rescue situation? It was going to be my first year as a boat owner - 14 foot cataraft, no floor - so upper-C, Ruby Horsethief, and maybe a Shoshone run with experienced friends was as ambitious as I was thinking of floating.

I'm sure I could set up a tent, and I cook pretty good, tell good campfire stories... - but I'll be pretty useless hauling a cooler, or anything other than a single beer (in the coozie tapped to my crutches), from the raft.

Cheers all -

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
rougher than you think

If you get ejected from the raft and have to hobble over a shallow uneven river bottom and then scramble up a steep river bank covered with loose debris and vegetation, you'll really wish you hadn't gone rafting. You also use your feet a good deal to brace while you're in the raft, hammering through rapids. This year you'll also likely get into a situation involving carrying a raft over shallow spots. Just sit it out and be somewhat thankful you're on the couch for a low water year.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #3
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessy View Post
If you get ejected from the raft and have to hobble over a shallow uneven river bottom and then scramble up a steep river bank covered with loose debris and vegetation, you'll really wish you hadn't gone rafting. You also use your feet a good deal to brace while you're in the raft, hammering through rapids. This year you'll also likely get into a situation involving carrying a raft over shallow spots. Just sit it out and be somewhat thankful you're on the couch for a low water year.
Exactly. Something happens and your screwed and then the crewyour with have to put themselves in harms way to get you out of trouble. Be a passenger in the least, or couch captain this season. It seeems like you want to get on the river but play it careful
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012   #4

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
If by seated activity, you mean large amounts of video games, that sounds like it'll work.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #5

basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
if you get ejected from raft on ruby horsetheif you have no business... well really doing anything. i'm sure you know there are no rapids to hammer through, and video games blow. get out there and make others pick up the slack for you, have fun
T-Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Boss View Post
if you get ejected from raft on ruby horsetheif you have no business... well really doing anything. i'm sure you know there are no rapids to hammer through, and video games blow. get out there and make others pick up the slack for you, have fun
Seriously. Just step it back a big notch and let you're friends know that the trip gimp cant help with lifting or safety, but will be mixing some mighty fine margaritas. For God's sake get on the water. Don't listen to these pansy-ass land lubbers. I'm sure you'll be in better condition than 90% of raft customers even with a blown ankle.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #7

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Oh man, I know how you feel. I blew my Achilles a couple years ago playing hoops guarding an 18 yr old, I had no idea it was coming. If you had surgery to repair it, you will not want to touch your foot on the ground period for the 6-8 weeks. My sticks slipped on a slick floor once and I touched my foot it was like nails going through my foot into my leg. Plus, you do not want to mess up an expensive surgery, let alone the long-term ramifications of reinjuring it.

I hurt mine the day before the first day of ski season in November. The good news is I skied in early April, be it very carefully on groomers. There is no way, I would have even cosidered being on the water and moving up and down river banks. It was tricky dealing with snow, ice and wet.

I would also recommend you get a knee walker, they are the shit for this type of injury. I would book all around the house on it with out those sticks!

Rehab was a lot of fun too! I am still trying to build my calf muscle and strength, 3 years later. Take care of that injury!
Old 06-08-2012   #8

Fruit Heights, Utah
I also blew my Achilles tendon playing basketball in mid march. Doc said no rafting for me this season. It's been very hard to see all of my friends go on trips without me. They're putting on the MFS next week. I just have to remember the big picture. At least it's a low water year. I fell about two after the surgery and I almost had to have surgery again. The fall put me back two weeks in the healing process. Knee walkers rule.
RaftinRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #9

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Stick to Ruby/Horsethief until u heal ( no pun intended) Bring lots of beer to give those that set up/down for ya! Have fun!
Old 06-08-2012   #10

West of Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitSurfer View Post
Stick to Ruby/Horsethief until u heal ( no pun intended) Bring lots of beer to give those that set up/down for ya! Have fun!
SummitSurfer, if Ryan had surgery and is wearing a boot, I think your advice is absolutely crazy. Lets mess up a 10K surgery and possibly start the healing process all over again, let alone having your leg atrophied even further through this process, duh. Oh, and lets drink and stumble around on the boat and on shore too.

Even if he didn't have surgery, but is in a boot, I think it would be pretty nuts. I couldn't imagine getting my boot wet with river water and sand and wearing it for 3 months.

I think I would consult my Dr. and not listen to boaters.