Boating near Winter Park/Hot Sulpher Springs on Tuesday - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-10-2009   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Boating near Winter Park/Hot Sulpher Springs on Tuesday

I have to be in Hot Sulpher Springs this Tuesday in the AM and was looking to Boat somewhere near there on Monday and/or Tuesday. Any suggestions or interest? I'm game for some fun III/IV playboating or maybe some creekin. Headed up from Fort Collins.

jmetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009   #2

I'm calling it like I see it....isn't HSS the judicial seat of the county up there? Sounds like you were a bad boy - bad boy - whatcha gunna do?

I'm en route home right now and would be down for some boating near my house on Monday if you're passing through. You know where to find me.

MC

P.S. - I blast off for Montana Thursday...you still thinkin about it?
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Hahaha, yup got a summons for not providing proof of insurance or registration.... Montana would be great but I have things in the Fort next weekend, thanks though. H4TH at the Mish on Fri and then Blue Grama at Swingstation in Laporte Sat! So creek boat or playboat? How's Byers Canyon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009   #4

golden, arvada NW, south boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Hey i live in HSS and Byers is running the rock in troublesome is covered, It's been fluctuating fromm 600-800 cfs. We 've been paddling it for over a month now. The Fraser is low, cold and creeky at this levelBut it has some play in the white mile at this level. the flatwater paddle out sucks! 400cfs Upper clear creek just starting to runbelow Lawson bit bony though. Tenmile is low and theres some play in frisco .
hit me up iskiwinterpark where the mail is hot if you want to boat!
Cheers!
iskiwinterpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #5

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I just paddled Fraser and Byers this weekend because I haven't ever been on them. Byers was fun, I'll never get on Fraser again mainly because of too much flat water.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #6

C'mon tellutwurp you did not give the fraser a fair chance. It's a great section of river, you just need to hit it at OVER 800 cfs. Now it is UNDER 400 cfs - boring, scrapy, and flat. Trust me, it is worth it when it is higher and the flat at the end goes by quick. I live 3 miles from the put-in and won't bother with it at these flows! I usually bring beer for the float out, and try to run it at medium or high flows only.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #7

golden, arvada NW, south boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Tellutwurp,
thats fine by us but maybe its the shrinkage factor of fridgid water that rivals Alaska! The Fraser rocks at low water it has the Creeky feel especially in Thumper! Papas hole will tear your arms off if you dont treat it with respect. It was named after papa Pat who would play in it for hours until he swam out of from being so tired. The Bottom line is that with fluctuating water levels the the dyanamics change and theres some Stuff that will rock your world or suck you to the bottom of the river bed. It aint no walk in the park I've seen many a solid 4-5 boater swim or walk out on the tracks at high water above 1500-3000. The flatwater usually is not that bad its not like westwater or anything, You get out of what you make it. Lots of eddy lines to squirt and cartwheel on. Good wildlife factor bears moose deer elk beaver and racnchers with shot guns and barbed wire! Theres also some play features before the US 40 bridge by the Fishing Cabins/condos. Anyone who Downplays the Fraser needs to run and High water> when Denver's not pullin water it fasty pushy and yeah you'll get thumped if you're not on your game. hence the name thumper.
iskiwinterpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Alright I'm headed towards HSS today, looking to paddle byers tomorrow 10ish or so. Call me and leave a message if interested, 970 402-2537.

Josh
Old 05-11-2009   #9

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I should have qualified my statement with 'at these levels' for sure. Fraser was ok and it is always fun to get on any new river. Just won't be a destination.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #10

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: '99
GC Boaters!

I promised to paddle the upper C with my wife tues. If she bails I will be at the put in at 10.

Jennifer and Iskiwinterpark - I live in Fraser and have been soloing the Fraser for lack of paddeling buddies. I kind of like the remote feel of the run but agree that my hands are always numb by the time I'm done.

Regardless always looking for people to boat with. I have a lot of time off and not always on the weekend. Give me a call the next time you head out. 719-232-0431

Off Wed. and Thur. would be down for a paddle (Byres, Fraser, Clear Creek, Steamboat) anyone available??
ddsulli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark