Boating near Moab? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-23-2014   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Boating near Moab?

I have a non boater friend that will be in Moab all summer for work. I plan to visit her a few times and was wondering what my options were for day runs and play waves close to Moab in the summer months. I'm looking for anything but stout class V. Are there any? I'll bring the mtn bike but biking in 115 degree heat doesn't excite me. I want to find water.

Thanks,

Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Really the only day boating is on the Colorado River above Moab (Moab Daily). The road is right next to the river for 5-6 miles above Moab and this stretch is pretty much Class I.

Above that stretch is the Castle Valley and the river is mostly away from the road. This stretch is Class III- ish and is the stretch you want to run. There is an obvious put in at Hittle Bottom at the upstream end of Castle Valley. Putting in here requires about 2 miles of flat before the rapids start. There is another put-in just about the first rapid (Little Professor), but I don't know how to describe it - just a nondescript unmarked little dirt road. The full run down the valley is probably 6 miles or so. The best takeout is about 1 mile downriver of Castle valley (into the mellow stretch by the road) and is called Sandy Beach. There is another obvious takeout below Sandy Beach, but it is packed with commercial take-outs during the summer.

Upriver from all this is Westwater Canyon, which is Class III-IV, but requires a permit.
Kentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #3

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentm View Post
Really the only day boating is on the Colorado River above Moab (Moab Daily). The road is right next to the river for 5-6 miles above Moab and this stretch is pretty much Class I.

Above that stretch is the Castle Valley and the river is mostly away from the road. This stretch is Class III- ish and is the stretch you want to run. There is an obvious put in at Hittle Bottom at the upstream end of Castle Valley. Putting in here requires about 2 miles of flat before the rapids start. There is another put-in just about the first rapid (Little Professor), but I don't know how to describe it - just a nondescript unmarked little dirt road. The full run down the valley is probably 6 miles or so. The best takeout is about 1 mile downriver of Castle valley (into the mellow stretch by the road) and is called Sandy Beach. There is another obvious takeout below Sandy Beach, but it is packed with commercial take-outs during the summer.

Upriver from all this is Westwater Canyon, which is Class III-IV, but requires a permit.
Thanks for your help, sounds like a fun run. I read the rules on Westwater permits, etc. Too bad I can't hang out at the put in and join someone's group or just launch solo. That sounds like a fun day. I've never heard of a day run requiring permits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014   #4

Boise, Idaho
Sounds like most people make it a 2 day so I stand corrected in calling it a day run.
Old 04-23-2014   #5

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroberts View Post
Sounds like most people make it a 2 day so I stand corrected in calling it a day run.
It is an easy day run as well, so don't let that deter you. Nice thing about WW is it will be flowing all summer. Should be fairly easy for you to pick up a weekday permit or cancellation - definitely hit it up if you can.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #6

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2009
What do you need to do to get a permit?
Old 05-01-2014   #7
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Everything you need:
Westwater Canyon