Boating Near Midland, Texas - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-14-2013   #1

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Boating Near Midland, Texas

How many hours will I have to drive to find anything in the class 3 to 4+ range? Yeah... I know, but my Idaho lifestyle is driving me into the poor-house, and I'm very passionate about my work. Any suggestions for skiing/paddling?

Thanks

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
You should talk to user "cwiredir" because its pretty obvious and I think we can all agree that nobody even comes close to knowing about Texas rivers more than him. And if anyone disagrees they are just high on marijuana. And if you dont believe me, just ask him yourself, and he will give you a five page essay on why he is and how the rest of us "smoke too much ganja" to know a difference between our asses and a hole in the ground.
Old 12-14-2013   #3

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Hey man I'm a long time boater from CO. I'm in Anesthesia school in SA, TX. If you like to playboat San Marcos just north of SA has been "in" for a while now. Its all park and play. If it rains a lot sometimes creeks in the hill country come in. Look for the Pedernales near Wimberly if it ever comes up.. I hear it is awesome.

Kent
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Go east!
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #5

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Kent, congrats on CRNA school! Sorry you got sentenced to TX for it though. Hope you get back to CO soon.

Outlaw, if you move to Midland I think you should look at other sports than boating and skiing. I'm sure there are some hotter and drier places than West Texas, but not many. You'll be a long way from good class 3/4 boating and the closest real skiing will be in/near Taos, 7+ hours away. If I were you I'd find a way to stay in Boise.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #6

bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
I have zero input on this subject but I just have to add that I once lived in midland for 3 weeks...you couldn't pay me enough money to ever go back there ever again haha
mtrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #7

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckins View Post
Kent, congrats on CRNA school! Sorry you got sentenced to TX for it though. Hope you get back to CO soon. Outlaw, if you move to Midland I think you should look at other sports than boating and skiing. I'm sure there are some hotter and drier places than West Texas, but not many. You'll be a long way from good class 3/4 boating and the closest real skiing will be in/near Taos, 7+ hours away. If I were you I'd find a way to stay in Boise.
Yo Duckins, where you at these days? San Antonio isn't bad at all. Playboating is great in San Marcos. Clear warm water and a fun feature better than anything on the front range. You guessed it. . . playboating has been forced upon me. I get out about once a week. We have a fun small crew of guys that kill it down here. Pretty fun. Where's your bro. . . Montrose?
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips View Post
Hey man I'm a long time boater from CO. I'm in Anesthesia school in SA, TX. If you like to playboat San Marcos just north of SA has been "in" for a while now. Its all park and play. If it rains a lot sometimes creeks in the hill country come in. Look for the Pedernales near Wimberly if it ever comes up.. I hear it is awesome.

Kent

Thanks for the word! I'd heard that the San Marcos was a pretty cool spot for play boating. Glad to hear confirmation. Good luck with school!

Although Texas has never been super high on my list of places to live, I'm so very grateful to be working for more than lousy Idaho wages! One party rule in the state has taken us from the bottom tier to the VERY BOTTOM with Mississippi. The people down in Texas seem genuinely friendly (we native Coloradoans/Wyomingites could learn a few things from them) and it's so nice to be accepted into a position without already being an expert with 10 or more years of experience!

Sometimes it takes life's hardships to learn what's really important...your family, your friends, and a fulfilling/meaningful good job.
Old 12-16-2013   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Outlaw, welcome to TX. I was born in Midland, far from my favorite place in TX but the people are very nice. You're close (4.5 hours) to Ruidoso, NM for snow. Nice little mountain town, short runs and often not much snow but in a good year Apache bowl is fantastic. In an off year they make a lot of snow to make it worth the short drive.

Unfortunately, your much further from good boating. Compared to those of us in C. TX your gonna be a lot closer to NM and CO but further from anything in TX. Best bet is Big Bend (see the thread in which "cwiredir" enlightens the world) about 4 hrs from midland. Both Dallas and San Marcos now have playparks. RV in San Marcos is worthwhile.
Paddle_like_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle_like_Hell View Post
Outlaw, welcome to TX. I was born in Midland, far from my favorite place in TX but the people are very nice. You're close (4.5 hours) to Ruidoso, NM for snow. Nice little mountain town, short runs and often not much snow but in a good year Apache bowl is fantastic. In an off year they make a lot of snow to make it worth the short drive.

Unfortunately, your much further from good boating. Compared to those of us in C. TX your gonna be a lot closer to NM and CO but further from anything in TX. Best bet is Big Bend (see the thread in which "cwiredir" enlightens the world) about 4 hrs from midland. Both Dallas and San Marcos now have playparks. RV in San Marcos is worthwhile.
Thanks for the warm welcome Paddle Like Hell!! I appreciate the advise, and I'll PM you when I get settled in with my contact info. Perhaps we could go run something one of these days. Looking forward to some warm, southern weather!