Boating Around Yellowstone - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-06-2013   #1

Kansas City, Missouri
Paddling Since: 2009
Boating Around Yellowstone

I will be headed to Yellowstone this July with my extended family. My brother and I will be looking to bail out for a couple days to boat. Any cl. 3 suggestions? If there is a run that has great scenery, but is a little lacking in ww I'd be open to that too. The combo of the two would be perfect!

Thanks!

Opes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013   #2

Red lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1987
Which part of Yellowstone are you heading into, big differences in all directions, as far as water. Jackson has dam release water, if you head into Montana it's more of a water year event....not so much this season. There is the Gallatin canyon near bozo, and the Stillwater /Yellowstone, on the front of the Beartooths, also the main Jelly out of Gardiner that time of year is a good bet too
ootek34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #3

If near MT side of Park...

Yellowstone - Gardiner town stretch and down through Yankee Jim Cabyon would be no fuss and is absolutely beautiful with class III rapids and super scenic flatwater. My buddy owns an outfit that could do some shuttling for you if you wanted to do light boats or playboats and still camp at night on the river. Paradise Valley is awesome, particularly if you have not seen it before. Jason Matthews at River Source Outfitters 406-2two3-5one34

Suggestions above are spot on if you are south in the park or want to drive a bit more... Beartrap Canyon on the Madison is a sweet class III if you portage the class IV kithcen sink rapid on an easy trail. Very beautiful in there, as well.
Have fun.
stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
How about class I-II fishing stretches? West Yellowstone or South of the park? Anyone have beta on that? Thanks.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #5

North Fork of the Shoshone just east of the Park. Scenic Class 2-3.
First place I saw a griz! Gallatin and Madison to the North of the Park.
And Alpine Canyon on the Snake a bit further to the south, also Grey's River even a bit further sw. Alpine Canyon is VERY scenic and some of the best surfing around.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #6

Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
Several good runs on the Snake. From just below Jackson Lake down to Moose in Teton Park is great for scenery & wildlife. Mostly a class 1 float with one class 2, but swirly water and possible strainers at high water. I have only done it in a canoe, but you see sea kaykaks, drift boats & outfitter rafts. Used to never see anybody a few years back...

Alpine Canyon is a great class 3.
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #7

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
How about class I-II fishing stretches? West Yellowstone or South of the park? Anyone have beta on that? Thanks.
There's great fishing and floating all around the park. Snake, Madison, Yellowstone, NF Shoshone. Where to go exactly depends on the time of year and what you're already near.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #8

Kansas City, Missouri
Paddling Since: 2009
Thanks for the beta. I will start looking at some of these options. I think we are starting on the north side of the park and working our way down.

I am all about seeing some grizzly bears but not sure I want to see one at the bottom of a drop waiting for a fish...or kayaker..
Opes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #9
Free and Easy

Granby, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Well just don't take their fish! And if you do, you need a caliber starting with the number four...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opes View Post
Thanks for the beta. I will start looking at some of these options. I think we are starting on the north side of the park and working our way down.

I am all about seeing some grizzly bears but not sure I want to see one at the bottom of a drop waiting for a fish...or kayaker..
RiverCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #10

The Fort, Colorado
Don't overlook the stuff around the east enterance and cody wy. Plenty of class III on the shoshone and it's forks. Generally easy access as well. There are some quick and easy runs in town that could be done on an extended driving break.

Talk to Andy at Gradient. He's the best.

Gradient Mountain Sports, paddle sports, Cody, WY
whitewater_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote