Boaters; Veterans...??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-09-2010   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Boaters; Veterans...???

Veterans Day is comming up in a couple of days, Thursday, 11 November. Just a friendly reminder to take a small, quick, part of your day to say/give, "Thanks" (Whether it's quietly to yourself/in a prayer, or if you know 'em personally, or just see one randomly out and about...etc) to all of the veterans that have served; past, present, and those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

SO, Happy Veteran's Day to you buzzards that have served at one time or another, and to all Military Veterans. I give my Thanks.

** While on the topic, and since this is a boating forum, it got me thinking, How many people on here are either in the Military, or have served in the Military at one time????? I've paddled with only about a Handfull of people that were either in the military, or are still serving. To me, it seems like a small Demographic of military/veterans that kayak or raft. I know there is that 'Team River Runner' orgnization that puts gets wounded/disabled vets in kayaks, and Huckin' Huge's own, Cody Howard is a Former Marine...anyway.

Here's a few pics of me back in the day when I was part of an Airborne Infantry Unit with the 82d Airborne Division:

And a sweet video of Jumping from a C-130, just something I did that was part of the Job Description, LOL! ENJOY!
Video here:

82d Airborne Division
A CO 2nd Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment ("White Devils") "Strike Hold"
2001-2005
Deployed to Afghanistan: Dec. 2002 - October 2003
Deployed to Iraq: Jan. 2004 - July/Aug 2004.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89685956_l.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	3087   Click image for larger version

Name:	me johnny 2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	3088  

Name:	combat light 2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	3089   Click image for larger version

Name:	combat light.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	3090  

Name:	me johnny 4.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	3091  

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Great thred and thank you! My bro Luke Rudolph who helped unlock boxelder is a ranger. Coolest boater I have ever met. Dude boats a Eskimo! He knows whats up..
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010   #3

AB2304, thanks for the post, I retired before you were born, Feb. 28, 1978. The C-130 is one of the few aircraft that will be in the service for over 100 hundred years. And why would you jump out of a good aircraft?
flipover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010   #4

On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I was in the military and I'm a boater... I served over in Iraq/Kuwait Feb '03 to March '04

bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010   #5

On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
BTW...

Happy Veteran's Day to all others who served!!!
bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Great thred and thank you! My bro Luke Rudolph who helped unlock boxelder is a ranger. Coolest boater I have ever met. Dude boats a Eskimo! He knows whats up..
Sweet!!! An eskimo!?? I've always wanted to try one out, but haven't paddled with anyone that paddles one, except this dude that goes by 'Boogie', that I paddled with on Bailey. Older eskimo, blue, looked like a slicey river runner/play boat. I haven't been in/on boxelder yet, I might hike it someday though, lol. OH, and 'You're Welcome!! and Thanks you.
Old 11-09-2010   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrmorgan View Post
I was in the military and I'm a boater... I served over in Iraq/Kuwait Feb '03 to March '04

Sweet, I was never in Kuwait, landed right in what they called at the time, 'LSA Anaconda, i think, and then did operations a little bit of everywhere.
Old 11-09-2010   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipover View Post
AB2304, thanks for the post, I retired before you were born, Feb. 28, 1978. The C-130 is one of the few aircraft that will be in the service for over 100 hundred years. And why would you jump out of a good aircraft?
Wish I could have retired from the military, my body just started to disagree with the line of work near the end of my enlistment. I miss it everyday actually, and have tried to get back in quite a few times since i've been out. 3 herniated discs in my back scares the chief medical officer from giving me the green light. Paddling/Kayaking subdues the beast in me for awhile, but he still comes back out, I still have the 'bug, that my time serving isn't finished yet.

Yeah, the C-130 will be around for at least another 100 years, that, and the CH-47 chinook.

Perfectly good airplane?? Maybe the years have taken its toll on her, lol, b/c there always seemed to be a problem with the one i was on before we jumped. The jump door wouldn't open or close, the red light would always stay on, one of the engines was having probs,...lol, I was glad to jump out of her when the time came! LOL.
Old 11-09-2010   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
An Iraq vet buddy of mine put together a group to get vets out on the water, here in Missoula. Riverboards, not boats. It was a big effort, lots of events and such. Awesome program!

X Sport 4 Vets - News Story - NBCMontana NBC Montana
Old 11-09-2010   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I wasn't sure how to link this email without posting my email's inbox, so thought I would paste the following info I received, as an AMR volunteer.

I'm planning on going and will be leaving from Boulder around 10/10:30 if anyone wants to carpool.

Beth

Quote:
Direct : 303-607-4766
Cell: 303-880-4012
pdemchak[ at ]denver-redcross.org

Media Advisory

This Veterans Day, Public Invited to Sign Giant “Thank You” to Servicemen & Women

Rain or Snow, Red Cross Will Be Out on 16th Street Mall Seeking Signatures & Offering Hot Coffee

Denver, CO – On Thursday, Nov. 11, the American Red Cross Mile High Chapter hopes members of the public will brave the cold to join a mass-gesture of thanks to American servicemen and women in honor of Veterans Day.

At 11:30 a.m. on the 16th Street Mall in Denver, the Red Cross will unveil a gigantic “thank-you” banner dedicated to veterans and active duty military and invite the public to sign it. Veterans and members of the Armed Forces who drop by will also be treated to a free, hot cup of coffee.

Red Cross Veterans Day Giant Thank-You Banner Signing
11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 11
In front of Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery, 16th and Curtis Street, Denver
Free coffee for veterans and active duty military courtesy of Starbucks Coffee

The massive banner-signing event started in 2009 and was a huge success, with more than 1,000 people signing two banners. The banners have traveled to numerous National Guard homecomings and military events, where members of the military and their families have expressed wonder and appreciation for the message from the public.

“The Red Cross has a deep history of providing physical and emotional support for servicemen and women, and was founded on the need for a neutral organization to assist people injured on the battlefield,” said Nicole Cantrell, who oversees the Mile High Chapter’s Service to the Armed Forces Program.

Today, the services provided by the Red Cross look different but are no less important: the Red Cross provides thousands of emergency communications between deployed military and their families back home; helps to prepare troops for their deployment as well as post-deployment challenges; helps support military families while their loves ones are overseas; and visits members of the military in V.A. hospitals.

For more information about Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces programs, visit www.ColoradoRedCross.org/SAF.