Boat weight ranges - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-14-2010   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Boat weight ranges

When a manufacturer gives a weight range (which is all subjective I'm sure) for a boat is it just for the paddler or the paddler plus gear? Or does it vary by manufacturer?

kurtmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I would assume in almost all cases that it means paddler plus gear. I think most companies break it down pretty well on their sites, Pryanha has an optimum load range listed including paddler and Jackson breaks down the weight ranges by type of use even.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #3

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Basically, boats are designed with a water-line threshold. Additionally, performance integrated rails and chines come into play. The general weight range should consider how much weight (gross: paddler and gear) begins to engage its performance and how much surpasses it.

With the possible exception of creeks boats, most boats have an optimum range perhaps somewhere in the middle. Whereas, balanced volume boats like creek boats may afford capabilities into the upper limits. Obtaining the right size boat for a person's weight and its performance design, and then adjusting the seat to properly trim it for the sweet spot, should be critical to enjoying ones boat.

I know that it took me a long time of fiddling with my Diesel 65 before I ultimately fell in love with the boat. At times I experimented with seat, bulkhead, and thigh hooks so much that I hated the boat and boated like crap in it. Ultimately, because of its design characteristics, I found its sweet spot for my weight and body structure (short, scrouny legs, and thick chested, muscley, top heavy). Men and womens physiques and each persons height (length of legs leveraged out front) and the amount of gear that you plan to haul and the boat design all contribute to what to consider in selecting the appropriate boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010   #4

x, x
Paddling Since: x
In regards to being over the mfgrs weight range I am 325. with gear, wet 340 and paddle a super hero on 4- and a super fun on 3's. I punch bigger holes easyer but go deeper longer and sub out often. When I play, I can surf, flat spin, and cart wheel but no loops yet. I don't think there is a benifit to being over the weight range, but it did not all go to hell either. I adjusted my seat, found the center point or sweet spot, and have not had any issues yet. I need to loose weight, but I can still paddle. just sharing
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #5
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Nothing sucks like being between boat sizes. Fun too small /4Fun too big. I have an Allstar that I can fit into but should probably be in a Superstar.

Allstar as a playboat is like a shoe a little too tight and the Superstar would be a shoe too big. Frustrating sometimes.
Old 01-15-2010   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
Nothing sucks like being between boat sizes. Fun too small /4Fun too big. I have an Allstar that I can fit into but should probably be in a Superstar.

Allstar as a playboat is like a shoe a little too tight and the Superstar would be a shoe too big. Frustrating sometimes.

How True ...between a 2fun and a fun...
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #7

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
How True ...between a 2fun and a fun...
^^^^^ yes, but how you throw that 2fun around!
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote