Boat Storage - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-14-2013   #1

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Boat Storage

I just bought a 14' E NRS, we got home put it in the garage partially inflated with the frame on. So I noticed as the days went on the boat continued to loose air. I partially filled it up, took the frame off and it continued to loose air. I live in the mountains and weather got in the negatives several nites and the daytime around 20-30 deg. My garage isn't heated or finished. Just wanted some thoughts, did I buy a boat with airleaks? Its rolled up now but just curious what some people thought.

Cor15_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013   #2

bend, Oregon
Its the temperature fluctuation. If your garage were a constant temp, it wouldn't go soft. Hot air expands, cold air contracts.
meanjoebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #3

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
No boat holds air for very long. All valves leak to some degree. Some of the particals in "air" are just smaller than others therefore they excape over time. My boat leaks less on the water than stored. Don't know why. But if your boat is dropping say 2 lbs in a couple hours or half a day then you have a big problem. I would think that your NRS E series boat should go good all day. I'd think that if you topped the air off in your garage, you should be good and tight for atleast a couple days. A week not so much. All summer no way.
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013   #4

Eagle, Colorado
I wouldn't say a couple hrs but half day to full day noticeable. I haven't had it on the water yet. That will be the real test. The guy I bought the boat from told me he had to air it up a little just due to the temp change.
Cor15_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #5
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor15_33 View Post
I wouldn't say a couple hrs but half day to full day noticeable. I haven't had it on the water yet. That will be the real test. The guy I bought the boat from told me he had to air it up a little just due to the temp change.
Fill to full pressure, us spray bottle with water and a little dish soap added, spray boat entirely, find leaks, repair as necessary. I don't know, did you buy a boat with air leaks? anyone buying a used boat should do the soapy water test before laying out the cash to see if there are any seam or valve boot leaks.

As far as boats not leaking. I have a lot of boats and all of them stay full of air for weeks if they are just sitting inflated in the garage.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #6

Bazzaro, Free
Its sounds likes your losing air a little bit fast. Not too concerning to me. How old is the boat? Alot of people check the air in the am and at lunch time. And that works for them. You might get the soapy water out and just see where the air is leaking from. Then maybe patch up some of the spots. Hyplon patches easy enough and you can get the color matched real good.
Old 02-14-2013   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
Sounds to me like you might have some leaks. Blow it up and get out a pail of soapy water. Almost a given that the floor relief valve leaks a little. About the only way to really know is with soap and water.
Edit: looks like we all three posted at the same time.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #8

Bazzaro, Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
Edit: looks like we all three posted at the same time.

It must be good advice, huh?
Old 02-14-2013   #9

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Once it warms up a little bit you should fill it up tight and go to it with a little soap and water if you still have doubts.
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #10

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Dont worry. You can't tell if a boat leaks unless its fully pressurized. The valves need positive pressure in the tubes to seat. Otherwise they leak. So a partially inflated boat will shortly become a mostly deflated boat