boat recommendation - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-15-2008   #1

boat recommendation

Hello,

I am looking for a recommendation for a raft. We float smaller rivers and no more than class iv rapids. We will use the raft mostly for fishing, and sometimes regular overnight, non fishing, trips of no more than 4 people. Would like a smaller raft, but something we can really count on. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shane

shane.mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008   #2

Vangaurd all the way!!!

Vangaurd all the way!!!
jlively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1973
14 ft Maravia Williwaw I self bailer. Have had same one for 17 years and it is still in great shape after running multiple overnight trips, one day paddles, fishing trips, including 7 Grand Canyon trips. Can be paddled with 4 (small rivers like Verde in AZ or Gunnison Gorge in CO....has handled levels 400cfs to 45,000 cfs.
Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008   #4
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Buy Hypalon. I would suggest a Hyside or an NRS. Lots of these used all over the place. Do a Google search for "hyside cragslist" or "self bailing craigslist" and you will find lots of these for sale all over the place.

Hypalon is super strong, more environmentally responsible than PVC (I think... that's what I've heard), and lasts forever.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I own a hypalon boat, and have diss'd Maravia and other PVC/urethane boats for a while. They seemed to bouncy to me. but, I just got off the grand, and briefly rowed a SOTAR and watched that boat rowed through everything. It is about 10' old, used on the grand A LOT and is in primo shape. I think the bouncy boats I saw before were overinflated, as the boat on the grand I would say was kept a bit soft, and seemed great. When I buy a new boat, I will seriously consider SOTAR and Maravia.
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #6

Otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I own a hypalon boat, and have diss'd Maravia and other PVC/urethane boats for a while. They seemed to bouncy to me. but, I just got off the grand, and briefly rowed a SOTAR and watched that boat rowed through everything. It is about 10' old, used on the grand A LOT and is in primo shape. I think the bouncy boats I saw before were overinflated, as the boat on the grand I would say was kept a bit soft, and seemed great. When I buy a new boat, I will seriously consider SOTAR and Maravia.
True, Sotar is an awesome boat, excellent for the grand but a bit costly for a private boat, also can be a pain to repair correctly in the field. If your going to fish mainly on your new boat I would suggest the otter series from NRS. The 13 ft boat is great for smaller rivers like the arkansas and poudre, but you can also do extended trips. The boat is hypalon, so it's nice and light when your off the water, easy to repair and great for fishing. I have one and I'm in love with it. During my guiding years I rowed alot of boats,(They all kick ASS!) but when it came time to buying one for myself and throwing down my cash, the otter was recommended!
rfrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #7

Thanks for the replys

I really appreciate the advice given. I found a couple of dealers who are pretty close who carry the Otter series. I am going to lean towards the Otters because of the local dealers.

If anyone knows of a good used raft, I would be very interested.

Thanks
Shane
shane.mullins is offline   Reply With Quote