Boat Patching Material - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Boat Patching Material

Hey Everyone,

Just thought i'd through a rave out there for a product.

I have been rocking Fiberfix Flex Patch on a crack on my boat for 4 months and it's holding up great. Highly recommended for throwing in the patch kit for interior side repair.

Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanH. View Post
Hey Everyone,

Just thought i'd through a rave out there for a product.

I have been rocking Fiberfix Flex Patch on a crack on my boat for 4 months and it's holding up great. Highly recommended for throwing in the patch kit for interior side repair.
That's so serendipitous that you post this today! I was actually testing different patch material today! Tyvek tape to be exact. There was a 5" tear all the way through the material on a thwart. I didn't put an inside patch, I just put a single 8" piece over the area. I aired it up to the recommended 3psi and it held with no deformation at the cut. The tape held perfectly. The tear didn't show any signs of the air pressure that was inside.

So I figured...... let's see what this tape can do....... thwarts are cheap enough to replace.....

I put that baby up to 6psi and it held! I was shocked! I couldn't believe that the adhesive held so well! In all honesty, I didn't leave it at that pressure long but the fact that it held at all is impressive.

The tape is still on the thwart at 3psi. I want to see it's long term use/damage/wear. Also the effect, if any, the adhesive has to the material. I'll post updates as the results come back.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueGuide View Post
That's so serendipitous that you post this today! I was actually testing different patch material today! Tyvek tape to be exact. There

I've found that tyvek becomes more or less permanent after a few weeks. Great stuff.

Be sure to install it on a cleaned/prepped surface, and round the corners of the tape so that there's less chance of peeling up over time.
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
I've found that tyvek becomes more or less permanent after a few weeks. Great stuff.

Be sure to install it on a cleaned/prepped surface, and round the corners of the tape so that there's less chance of peeling up over time.
Thank you for the insight into Tyvek. I still need to do my own testing to see the results myself. I also have doubts about it's permanency. In the off season I repair boats and you would not believe some of the things guides use to fix leaks. If I can take an epoxy off of a materials surface well enough to weld to it afterward, Tyvek tape shouldn't be an issue.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
In the off season I repair boats and you would not believe some of the things guides use to fix leaks. If I can take an epoxy off of a materials surface well enough to weld to it afterward,
OK, I'm intrigued. What's the back-story?!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
I have not used Tyvek tape. Would like to buy a roll. Looked up on Amazon and there are many types. What brand and type tyvek tape do you recommend?
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
OK, I'm intrigued. What's the back-story?!
Backstory? I love everything outdoors. I've been a trail and raft guide for years. I'm very good to my gear, but I use it, hard. As such I end up fixing broken gear alot. When fixing gear you see how it could be made better so sometimes I make my own. Backpacks, tents, hammocks, different suspension systems for hammocks, tarps, and rain gear are all things I've made for myself.
As a raft guide you become very adept at fixing boats on the fly. My repairs were always a little nicer. I first started really doing it for just my outfitter. Then started bouncing around offering my services to others.
I'm damn good on a sewing machine or with a hot air welder. Basically I'm Mr. Fix it DIY in my circle of friends. They always bring it to me first.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Tyvek sounds awesome, I'm going to look into it for throwing some pieces in the just in case bag. Might be nice for those of us with OC1 friends who're always repairing float bags too.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
I have not used Tyvek tape. Would like to buy a roll. Looked up on Amazon and there are many types. What brand and type tyvek tape do you recommend?
I'm not recommending any Tyvek tape yet. I'm still testing its durability, "permanence", and if it leaves a residue when removed to do the repair. Most of my time doing repairs is spent cleaning the area first. The repair is actually really fast compared to the cleaning needed to do a repair correctly.
I am not recommending Tyvek at this point. My opinion is still out on it.
If you want to give it a try yourself, on your own liability, it was the clear 1.88" tape.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
I'm not recommending any Tyvek tape yet. I'm still testing its durability, "permanence", and if it leaves a residue when removed to do the repair. Most of my time doing repairs is spent cleaning the area first. The repair is actually really fast compared to the cleaning needed to do a repair correctly.
I am not recommending Tyvek at this point. My opinion is still out on it.
If you want to give it a try yourself, on your own liability, it was the clear 1.88" tape.

Clear tyvek (and gorilla) isn't nearly as good as the basic white stuff with blue "tyvek" lettering.

I repaired a cut tube with it ~5 years ago, just a quickie til I could get it home and patch it proper. Or so I told myself.

A few months later when I finally got around to it the tyvek tape had bonded to the boat. Could probably have gotten it off with solvents, but why? Couldn't peel it up with fingernails no matter how persistent I was, so I left it.

And it's still there, still holding perfectly, 5 years later.