Boat Help - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-19-2007   #1

Boat Help

So I'm looking for some advice from people as to a boat for me to buy. I currently have a Wavesport Big EZ, but am looking for a boat that is a bit smaller with a bit more volume for better river running. I am 6'0" weigh about 170 pounds have a 32-34 inch inseam and have a size 12 foot.

I want a boat that is a good river runner (can handle some bigger water) but that can play better than the Big EZ. I've found that the Big EZ is average at both river running and playing, so I'm looking for something that is smaller but with decent volume. The boats I have looked at are the Jackson Fun, the Dagger G-Ride, the Wavesport ZG 54, and the Liquid Logic Pop. What ideas would you have, and would I even fit in these boats?

schgred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
I have a great boat for you. I'm selling it because I"m too heavy, but you're perfect for it. I was looking for the same setup.

I have a 2006 Pyranha Stretch M/L. It's green. Great river runner and a fun boat in general. I'm just too heavy for it at 200 lbs. I have all the original outfitting and it's in great shape.

Let me know if you're interested in it.

970-581-5699

jeff.burley at amd.com
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
By the way, great foot room as well. I have 12's and I'm 6 feet tall.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
Well, other than the Jackson Fun I wouldnt consider any of those better river runners than the Big EZ and I think some people would even debate that one. It looks like you are looking for the magical do everything boat which is tough to find. Unless you are seriously short on cash or storage I would say add a dedicated playboat and keep your Big Ez.
Old 02-19-2007   #5

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Take a look at the Jackson 4Fun - not sure if it has more volume, but should play better. Other than that "gh" hit the nail on the head.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #6

The pyranha is longer than what I am looking for. It is longer than the Big EZ.

What I don't like about the Big EZ for river running is the lack of volume. For being 7 feet long and only 51 gallons for volume it seems to get stuck quite a bit in bigger water. That's why I was hoping for something a bit shorter but with a bit more volume.

My biggest desire is a boat that can play well but that can handle bigger water better than the Big EZ.
Old 02-19-2007   #7

I'd recommend the Jackson too. I'm 6'1" and 175lbs with size 11's. I've been paddling the big EZ for the last couple seasons and last year got to paddle a friends Jackson on some class III-IV water. It definitely plays better than the BigEZ and for a river runner I don't think it is much different than the Big EZ. You have to get used to it being a bit shorter but I'm pretty sure it still had a lot more volume. I was surprised by how short it was and that I actually felt more comfortable in it than my BigEZ with very little outfitting.
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #8

Do you paddle the Jackson Fun or the 4Fun?
Old 02-19-2007   #9

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If you were considering a ZG you should check out one of the new Jackson Stars. I run all kinds of shit in my superstar -- I'm 6'2" about 2 hundo. You might likey.
Old 02-21-2007   #10

Agree on the Superstar

I'm about 175-180, 5'11 and, being at the lighter end of the weight range find the superstar to be excellent for riverrunning and definitely plays a lot better than any of the other boats mentioned. So at your weight, you might want to give it a try. Another good boat to try might be the Necky O-Fish.

BobN