Boat for REALLY BIG guy!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-17-2004   #1

Boat for REALLY BIG guy!!!

Hey folks,

I'm 6'3, 320lbs and trying to find a ww kayak (I'm tired of rafting!). Any suggestions? Since I'm new to kayaking, I need something that is forgiving and something I can roll easily as not to create a human dam downriver Thanks

canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004   #2

Boat for REALLY BIG guy!!!

Demo a Wavesport Super EZ. I'm a big guy too... I'm 6'2" and go 230 w/ size 13 feet... great boat!!
forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004   #3

Thanks Forester. A quick question: If a boat's capacity is for example 240lbs, will my 320lbs cause its hydrodynamics to be screwed up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004   #4

Hydrodynamics

The quick answer is yes, you're outside the specs.
But you have to get in the boat to see if you're so far outside the specs that you don't like how the boat reacts.

I'm really short - 26 inch inseam - size 8 feet - I can pretty much paddle a matchbox. But I don't like most really small boats because at 180 lbs the small boats are really really SLOW. I end up pushing a lot of water.

If you find a boat you like, let me know. The guitarist in my band is looking for a boat for the bigger man. He's 6'5" and solid.

I second the vote for trying out a Super EZ btw.
akahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004   #5

Re: Hydrodynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by akahn
The quick answer is yes, you're outside the specs.
But you have to get in the boat to see if you're so far outside the specs that you don't like how the boat reacts.

I'm really short - 26 inch inseam - size 8 feet - I can pretty much paddle a matchbox. But I don't like most really small boats because at 180 lbs the small boats are really really SLOW. I end up pushing a lot of water.

If you find a boat you like, let me know. The guitarist in my band is looking for a boat for the bigger man. He's 6'5" and solid.

I second the vote for trying out a Super EZ btw.
Thanks akahn, I'll keep you posted. Anyone know anything about Riot Kayaks?
Old 05-18-2004   #6

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I'd try a Liquid Logic Airhead. That thing is a barge
Rioter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004   #7

Cody, Wyoming
Another option would be a Wavesport Y, or other large creek boat. I think the spec on the Y states a weight capacity of 300+, and the largest Pyranha H3 or Riot Big Gun is probably the same. You can't throw ends, but it will get you out of that rubber barge.

I am 6'1", 230 +/-, and sz 13 feet. I have a Wavesport Z that fits great for big water, and a Super EZ for more fun stuff. The Super will probably fit you in the legs and seat, but the waterline will probably be very off due to your weight. Can't hurt to give it a try. Later.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004   #8
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
be careful of anything that has sharp chines
it may be too edgy for a beginner to have fun in
i am 6' 250 and paddle a WS Godzilla for a river runner
Old 05-18-2004   #9

Another option

Also might want to try the Wavesport Diesel. Super sweet boat for river running.

-D
Holebait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
another way to approach this

In order for anything to float, it has to displace its weight in water. Therefore, if you weigh 320 lbs, and the boat and gear adds another 50 lbs, you need a boat to displace at least 370 lbs of water. Water weighs about 8.33 lbs per gallon, so the boat will have to displace 44 gallons. That means 44 gallons will have to be below the water line. Ideally, you probably want as much boat above water as below, so you'd be looking at a 88 gallon boat. This probably puts you well into the creek boat range:
Pyranha H3 255 (or M3 or G??), Prijon Embudo, Wavesport Y, etc.

Hope this helps.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote