Blunt Cat Tubes - Who's Tried 'Em? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-02-2010   #1

West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
Blunt Cat Tubes - Who's Tried 'Em?

Jack's Plastics offers a blunt cone option for the larger cat tubes. Seems like a good idea - shorter boat = more maneuverable. Anyone tried them and have any input, good, bad, or indifferent? Thanks!

dogalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
We like 'em here at Riverboat Works. We've put our premier 2 and 3 man fishing frames on them. They are great for lower water, b/c less length in the tubes, but also work well for high water b/c of the tube diameters. Check out what we've done at Riverboat Works, Specializing in New and Used Rafts and Catarafts and Custom Built Frames, look under cat fishing frames.
Riverboat Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #3

Hi,

I love them on my 20'/30" El Tigre.

The way I see it, the pointy ends don't give you a bit more flotation in all but the most dire circumstances. So, in effect a 20' tube is equivalent to what a pointy 22-24' foot tube would give you.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010   #4

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogalot View Post
Jack's Plastics offers a blunt cone option for the larger cat tubes. Seems like a good idea - shorter boat = more maneuverable. Anyone tried them and have any input, good, bad, or indifferent? Thanks!
They do them on small cats as well. I have a Super Cutthroat 2 with the blunt tubes. If I remember correctly a standard SC2 would be 14ft and mine with the blunted tubes is 12 or 12.5ft. The tubes are 19" in diameter.

Seems to work pretty well for me as a mini gear hauler cat.

George
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #5

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Royal Flush

I have a Royal Flush from JPW with the blunt ends. I have ran it on many different rivers and conditions and love it. If that is the look you like, the performance is definitely there. I have a few pictures of mine if you would like to see it.
Katboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #6

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Works View Post
We like 'em here at Riverboat Works. We've put our premier 2 and 3 man fishing frames on them. They are great for lower water, b/c less length in the tubes, but also work well for high water b/c of the tube diameters. Check out what we've done at Riverboat Works, Specializing in New and Used Rafts and Catarafts and Custom Built Frames, look under cat fishing frames.

Just like a banner ad only free!
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #7

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
So, has anyone else tried them?

I' planning on having a set made over the winter. More info/feedback the better before I pull the trigger.
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #8

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000149 EndHTML:0000002372 StartFragment:0000000199 EndFragment:0000002338 StartSelection:0000000199 EndSelection:0000002338 I have a pair of JPW 16.5ft by 28in blunt tubes. I almost got 18ft tubes, but am very happy I didn’t. The blunt tubes will carry more gear and draft less than my friends 18’ air cat, and more than a 16ft kodiak cat (NRS). They have so much bouyancy I can easily go down the San Juan at 450cfs with a decent winter load for a week, or the Salt. The blunt tubes really shine in big water. Cataract, MFS, Main, etc... For the length I can carry a lot of gear, yet stay pretty maneuverable.

People told me that a blunt tube wouldn’t surf as well; to me that is perfect, I don’t like getting my big cat surfed, its to heavy and big to want to flip. An added advantage of blunt tubes is that you can bounce the nose of things like rocks and walls. Pointy tubes will fold up, blunt will give a little bounce like a raft.

I really think that blunt tubes are far superior than pointy tubes if you are looking for a cat to carry gear and still be able to take down tighter rivers. I would think a blunt nose small cat would not be very fun unless you don’t plan on surfing and enjoying the benefits that only a small cat can provide.

Jacks Plastic will make anything you want, and they are local (at least to CO/UT/NM/AZ). They are affordable and seem to be tough, I estimate at least 200 days on mine, with one tear, and that was entirely my fault. Sotar will make tubes that are fairly blunt, the Legend cats have points, but when you look close they are still pretty blunt. A friend has a new style AIRE, it is pretty blunt, and carries a lot of gear for what it drafts versus the length.

In a nutshell: blunt on big gear boats is good, but likely a waste on small cats.

Hope for a big snow year so you can rally your new blunt nose cat down some big waves this spring!

sn
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #9

Grand Dysfunction, West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Pointy tips/ends - more difficult to maneuver, no tracking benefit!

Ran blunt tubes using Dan Rauer's type 16 ft boat, and also ran Larry Hoover (Horsey!!!)'s 16 ft Maravia pointy nosed boat down the MFS at high water. Comparing the two, had a better time with Dan's blunt ends because in tight river sections like Pistol and Velvet Rapid on MFS, was wishing that I didn't have the extra two feet (combined) front and aft to contend with. Reason being, you have extra maneouverability and not the liability hanging out front/back. If you do a lot of big descents and waterfalls then the longer nose/ass could come in handy, but that should not be a primary directive. Go for blunts and increase your waterline... that is your strength as a cat. Tracking is your main game, so go for the longest one with the blunt ends that you can. Maximum speed along with big diameter = cargo capacity - GAME ON RIVERHOMEY!
raft3plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #10

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
that was quite a coherent statement Dirk. Are you okay?

I agree 100%
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote