Blue River Survey--BLM sks for Boaters' Input--Please Reply - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-22-2005   #1

Blue River Survey--BLM sks for Boaters' Input--Please Reply

For a number of years, CWWA has expressed to the Bureau of Reclamation CWWA's interest in improving the put-in for the section of Blue River below Green Mtn. Dam. Recently, CWWA filed a response to the proposed land exchange between BLM and Blue Valley Ranch, noting the importance of preserving access to the section of river between the dam and Spring Creek Road bridge. CWWA also contacted BLM and asked BLM if it would be willing to have a task force consisting of BLM, Bureau of Rec., the Forest Service, Summit County, and other interested stakeholders address an assortment of issues concerning the lower blue. John Ruhs and Bunny Sterin of BLM, and Rick Newton of the Forest Service, have been great and they have put together and are leading the task force to evaluate the current use of the lower blue and ways to improve acess and facilities there. We had our first meeting in September and will be meeting on a regular basis. Bunny Sterin has prepared a survey so that the task force and BLM have a better sense of what is important to boaters and how boaters view proposed changes to the area. Please complete the survey, which you can find by going to CWWA's website at www.coloradowhitewater.org. CWWA's webmaster, Dave McManness, has set up links to access the survey, which you can return by email to Ms. Sterin. The BLM would like your responses before October 13, 2005. Thanks everyone.
Patrick Tooley
Access Director/CWWA

patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2005   #2

Salida, Colorado
Dead link...

The link to the survey reveals a blank page!
Old 09-23-2005   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Having the document in MS Word means that you'll need to have that software on your PC, unless you can save it to your disk and open it with another word processing program. It may be helpful for the CWWA to make it available as a "Rich Text File" or "RTF" which can be opened by many word processing programs.

-Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2005   #4

thanks for the suggestion

I'll mention it to our Dave, our webmaster.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005   #5

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I would like to also suggest a mailing address to return the survey.

I have a number of paddling friends who are "road-kill on the information superhighway" and don't have email.

Thanks!
"Believe me, my young friend, (said the water rat somlemnly), there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing...." -The Wind in the Willows
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005   #6

Dillon, Colorado
Has anybody else tried to fill out this survey?

The efforts to help improve this area are extremely commendable.

Thank you.

However, the execution of the survey process is less than favorable, I'm sorry to say.

I completed the survey, but was unable to send it since it opened in a web window, as opposed to opening MS Word.

My reccomendation is to save the file to your computer than open it through Word (if you have Word)
Quote:
If you do not have Microsoft Word on your computer you are out of luck....

Actually, hat's my backup reccomendation. My real reccomendation is to have a user-friendly survey that can be filled out with "radio buttons" insteead of placing an "X" over yoir selection and deleting underscore lines so you can fill in your selection.
"Believe me, my young friend, (said the water rat somlemnly), there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing...." -The Wind in the Willows
Old 09-25-2005   #7

Dillon, Colorado
I decied to try and help by creating a "web form" in MS Word that I could give to the folks who are conducting the survey.

OK, I opened the Word document and I figured out how to add "radio" or "option" buttons as well as check boxes, text boxes, etc.

So, from Word, the form works great, I can select option buttons and check boxes, I can fill in text boxes....

But when I open it in Internet Explorer, everything works great except I cannot select any of the option buttons and I do not know how to link the "submit" button to an email address.

Does anybody know how to fix these two things? As soon as I can get that done, I can email the form to the surveyors and they should be able to use it as a web page, so to take the survey, there will be no need to go through email programs and MS Word. Just fill it out on the web and submit... I think... I've never done this before.
Old 09-25-2005   #8

Boulder, Colorado
OK. If this is stupid, sorry. If you don't like the MSW version or can't open it - cut and paste the plain-text version below into whatever editor you like. Insert your X's next to the number you like. Cut and paste the whole shebang to the address at the bottom. It's not as pretty but should relay your opinions.

[copied from the CWWA page and the Word document]

We Need Your Help!!┬*
CWWA has approached the BLM, Forest Service, and Bureau of Reclamation about improving and preserving access on the Blue River between Green Mountain Reservoir and Spring Creek Road Bridge.┬* In conjunction with this request and BLM's evaluation of the proposed land exchange with Blue Valley Ranch, the BLM has prepared a user survey for kayakers, canoeists, and other users of the lower Blue River.┬* Your input is important!┬* The BLM and other interested governmental agencies would like you to fill out this questionnaire so they can better understand how the public feels about possible improvements to the lower Blue.┬*┬*
Click Here to view the Blue River User Survey┬* This is a Microsoft word document.┬* You will need to edit this document on your computer then email it to [email protected].┬* You can do this by clicking on File then selecting Send To then select Mail Recipient (as Attachment).┬* Put [email protected] in the To line and hit send.┬* If you do not have Microsoft Word on your computer you are out of luck, but we would appreciate it if you could take this survey from someone else's computer.┬* Thanks for your help
Please complete this questionnaire and return your filled out survey and/or comments to:┬* [email protected]

Blue River below Green Mountain Reservoir Questionnaire - 2005

Several organizations as well as state and federal agencies are considering improvements to the Blue River access area below Green Mountain Reservoir. It is important for these groups to understand how the public feels about these actions. Please take a moment to fill out this questionnaire and let us know how you feel about these actions.

Crowding on the Blue River below Green Mountain Reservoir
Seeing more people on your trip down the Blue River may affect your experience. It is helpful to managers to know how people feel about an increase in the number of people seen on your trip. Place an X over [next to] your selection for each line item.

Crowding

[answer key]
1 Not at all Acceptable
2 Slightly Acceptable
3 Acceptable
4 Very Acceptable
5 Extremely Acceptable

How acceptable is it to you to see:
25 % more people
50 % more people
75 % more people
100 % more people

Facilities and/or Services You Would Like to See in the Blue River directly below Green Mountain Reservoir
It is important to know how users feel about facilities on the Blue River. We would like to know if improving the facilities is important to you. Place an X over [next to] your selection for each line item.

Facilities
[answer key]
1 Not At All Important
2 Slightly Important
3 Moderately Important
4 Quite Important
5 Extremely Important

How important it to you to have or improve the following?
Launch Ramp
Parking
Extended time when gate is open
Restrooms
Education and interpretation

Your Desired Experiences at the Blue River directly below Green Mountain Reservoir
People enjoy floating for multiple reasons. Listed below are some experiences that you may be looking for. On a scale of 1 to 5, please indicate how important each of these experiences is for you on this trip on the Blue River. Place an X over your selection for each line item.

Experience

[answer key]

1 Not At All Important
2 Slightly Important
3 Moderately Important
4 Quite Important
5 Extremely Important

To test your abilities
To be with family and friends
To experience solitude
To view the scenery
To explore new areas
To develop skills
To be close to nature
To experience excitement
To get exercise

About You
We would like to know a little about you. The information will remain completely confidential.
1.How many times this season have you floated the Blue River below Green Mountain Reservoir? ________ times
2.What is your primary activity while on the Blue River? (check only one)
_______Fish _______Float _________________Other (please specify)
3.What kind of boat do you typically use? (check all that apply)
_____ Raft _____ Drift Boat _____Inflatable Kayak _____ Kayak
_____________Other (please specify)
4.About how long have you been boating? ______ year/s
5.Where is your primary residence? ________________________city ____ state
6.Are you ____ male ____ female
7.How old are you? _______years
Section VII. Additional Comments

Please tell us about any other concerns or comments you would like to make with regard to the Blue River below Green Mountain Reservoir. Feel free to use the blank space below to let us know if there is anything else you would like to say.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
Thank you very much for your participation in this study! Your input is greatly appreciated and will be reflected in the future management of this area.
PLEASE RETURN VIA EMAIL TO: [email protected]
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue river