BLM Draft Resource Management Plan Meetings and Info - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-27-2011   #1

Kremmling, Colorado
BLM Draft Resource Management Plan Meetings and Info

The BLM Kremmling Field Office has set public meeting dates for the Draft Resource Management Plan. The draft can be found at http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/BLM_Prog...kremmling.html

Some areas that specifically pertain to the Upper Colorado River are:

Chapter 2
Recreation Use and Visitor Services 2-102 to 2-109
Wild and Scenic Rivers 2-142 to 2-145

Chapter 4
Recreation Use and Visitor Services 4-416 to 4-437
Wild and Scenic Rivers 4-567 to 4-586

Appendix M- Special Recreation Permit Evaluation Criteria
Appendix N- Description of Recreation Resources (this is the meat and potatoes of what each alternative will be)
Appendix O- Supplemental Rules (includes groover requirement)
Appendix T- Wild and Scenic River Suitability Report
Appendix U- Stakeholder Management Plan

The public meetings are scheduled for:
Oct. 27th, 2011, 4pm to 7pm at the Granby Community Center (I will not be able to attend this meeting)
Nov. 3, 2011, 4pm to 7pm at the Wattenberg Center, Walden
Nov. 8th, 2011, 4pm to 7pm at the CSU Cooperative Extension Building, Fairgrounds, Kremmling

Comments are taken until January 17, 2012. Substantive written comments can be sent via mail, email, or FAX.

Kremmling Field Office
P.O. Box 68
Kremmling, CO 80459

Email for RMP comments: [email protected]

FAX: 970-724-3066

Questions may be directed to Hannah Schechter, Outdoor Recreation Planner, at 970-724-3008.

Teri_at_BLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011   #2

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
In order to most appropriately direct my comments to the most appropriate sections, goals, actions, etc. in the RMP and because the RMP is a gazillion pages long...

What are the designations, such as ERMA, SRMA, etc, for those BLM lands in the Lower Blue Corridor between the BoR dam and the confluence?

Is there any BLM land in Green Mountain Canyon? If so, please specify.

Except for the Wild and Scenic Segment section, why is there no other mention of BLM land within the Lower Blue Corridor in the RMP?

Is it correct to assume that, because the Blue River Wild and Scenic Segments 1, 2 and 3 have been deemed "Unsuitable" for designation, W&S considerations are unnecessary for the progression of any Lower Blue management plan derived from the RMP?

One of my primary interests, as, likely, others, is to formulate an effective plan to manage the Lower Blue Corridor. What sections of the RMP address this? Just the travel management part of it? Does the RMP deal with the management of only BLM lands, more specifically within the LB Corridor, or all lands and water including private and public, such as BLM, USFS and county Open Space within the LB Corridor?

Does the BLM land boundary on the adjacent upstream side of Blue Valley Acres and Spring Creek Bridge extend all the way from Highway 9 to the middle of the Blue River? If not, where do the boundaries extend in relation to the river?

Wild and Scenic Blue River Segment 1 is the section of the Blue between the Grand/Summit County line (just upstream from Blue Valley Acres/Spring Creek Bridge) and just downstream from the Deep Creek confluence in GM Canyon. Even tho that segment is shown as BLM land on the USFS map, it has been mentioned that it is actually USFS land according to cadastral maps. Because it isn't mentioned in the RPM, what is the ownership and status of Blue River Wild and Scenic Segment 1 within the RPM?

Appendix M-3 Special Area Use - If there are any references to Special Recreation Permits or general permits elsewhere in the RPM for use, such as boating, within the Lower Blue Corridor, would they please be pointed out?

Is the RMP and/or its completion relevant to the advancement or completion of the lower Blue Valley public/private land exchange? If so, what are the applicable sections of the RMP?

Since the lower Blue Valley public/private land exchange has not been completed and is still, therefore, open for review and if there's a relationship, can or will the exchange process be progressed only after completion of the RMP or can/will the exchange process be progressed concurrently? What is the specific status of the exchange?
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #3

The BLM Resource Management Plan, in part, will have a direct and dominating impact on how you use and access the Lower Blue River Corridor from the BoR dam to the confluence with the Colorado River at Kremmling. Unless you read, comment and/or attend the meetings concerning the BLM draft RMP, you will forfeit your right to have a say on how the Blue is managed.

Have any of you attended either of the previous meetings? If so, how many public folks were there?

The Public Comment period is September 16,2011 - January 17,2012.
Have you sent in or will you be emailing any Public Comments?

Are you attending the RMP meeting tomorrow, Tuesday, November 8, 2011 from 4-7pm at the CSU Cooperative Extension Building at the fairgrounds in Kremmling?

Now til January 17, 2012 is the time to do your thing, folks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011   #4

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Blue river and Kremmling BLm Management Plan

Ole River-

You have been able to wade through more of the RMP than I have- I have gotten to about half way through Chapter 3.

I can't make heads or tails about how the plan will or will not affect the usage of the Blue River.

What is your take on these key issues:

Will access be changed/restricted due to the RMP? In my opinion it doesn't look like it will and it seems like quite a strecth to say Blue River segments 2 and 3 could be considered for Wild and Scenic Designations.

What is the end goal with the land swaps? What do boaters get/lose?

What action needs to be taken?

I can't figure out if the RMP actions are good, bad or not consequential to the Blue.
wamsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsley View Post
Ole River-

You have been able to wade through more of the RMP than I have- I have gotten to about half way through Chapter 3.

I can't make heads or tails about how the plan will or will not affect the usage of the Blue River.

What is your take on these key issues:

Will access be changed/restricted due to the RMP? In my opinion it doesn't look like it will and it seems like quite a strecth to say Blue River segments 2 and 3 could be considered for Wild and Scenic Designations.

What is the end goal with the land swaps? What do boaters get/lose?

What action needs to be taken?

I can't figure out if the RMP actions are good, bad or not consequential to the Blue.
Brett,

Would you please copy and paste your same post above into the "Lower Blue Public Access" thread in the Access and Alerts forum? I have a related reply in it, it may be more appropriate there and, hopefully, get more views and participation. I'll then post a reply there.

Thanks,

Richard

PS Hope the boat's patched up ok from the rock garden dealio a while ago...