BLM Assistance - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-05-2010   #1
Outdoor Recreation

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
BLM Assistance

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Colorado River Valley Field Office (CRVFO), out of Silt, Colorado, has decided to try to give out correct information and help with misinformation on Mountain Buzz. My name is Kimberly Miller. I am the Outdoor Recreation Planner with the BLM - CRVFO. My role here is to hopefully help distribute correct BLM information. So, if you have any BLM related questions, please feel free to ask.

BLM_CRVFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
Thanks

Kimberly, welcome to the msg board. Appreciate having you as a resource on BLM questions.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #3
Destin

Cody, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2005
Good, good do you boat?
dharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010   #4

Great Idea

Kimberly,
Thanks for taking the initiative on this as I think it's a great idea. You'll have to take most everything with a grain of salt on the Buzz, as that's just the way this forum has been, is, and will be.
Similarly, Denver Water has assigned an ambassador to Mountainbuzz and the benefits have been many to the local boating community. I hope that your presence brings the same type of communication and information flow for those in need as well as those who need a little looking after.

From the boating community side of things, is there anything that we can do to help facilitate and grow the flow of communication between the two parties?

Thanks
Mark
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
Kimberly,
good to see you here. It's tough being the voice of an agency to the public, hope you have a thick skin and a good sense of humor. Are you handling questions related to more than river access? If so...are maps available for the Red Hill and the Crowns recreation areas near Carbondale?
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #6
Outdoor Recreation

Silt, Colorado
Thanks for the nice welcome! To answer some of your questions...

Yes, I am a boater personally. Was a canoe guide since I was in my teens (for about 10 years). Learning how to kayak right now, which is my new sport. Have rafted and intend to do more rafting next summer. Have run parts of the Upper Colorado, Glenwood Canyon, Roaring Fork, Gunnison, Yampa, Lower Colorado, South Platte, and Arkansas in Colorado.

The purpose of my being here is to help with any communication particularly within the Colorado River Valley Field Office-BLM, which is the office in charge of managing the Upper Colorado from State Bridge down, the Eagle, parts of the Roaring Fork (particularly Wingo Junction), and the lower Colorado through South Canyon (south of Glenwood Springs). However, I am open to also assisting with anything that I can that is associated with the BLM-Colorado.

Mark - Perhaps to help with communication between Denver Water and the BLM-CRVFO, this might be a good tool. Are you a representative for Denver Water?

I can answer any BLM related question. Yes, the maps for Red Hill are available under:
BLM Colorado | Colorado River Valley Field Office | Recreation | Mountain Biking

We haven't produced a map/brochure for the Crown area yet that we can distribute to the public. That is partly because we are currently going through a travel management planning stage, which will help us decide how to manage our areas. Once we have a final decision on travel management, then we will be able to have something available. If you are interested in keeping updated on what is going on with that, go to:
BLM Colorado | Kremmling & Glenwood Springs RMP Revisions
and sign up on the mailing list.

I certainly hope to be a useful resource to our boating community, so keep the questions coming!
Old 10-06-2010   #7

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
So; what sections are jetskis allowed on? Are there any sections that jetskis are encouraged or not allowed at all?
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #8
Outdoor Recreation

Silt, Colorado
Right now, along any sections of river that BLM-CRVFO manages (Colorado River Valley Field Office-BLM, which is the office in charge of managing the Upper Colorado from State Bridge down, the Eagle, parts of the Roaring Fork (particularly Wingo Junction), and the lower Colorado through South Canyon (south of Glenwood Springs), the BLM does not have any restrictions for jet skis. In the Resource Management Plan Revision, some of the alternatives do close these rivers to jet ski use. Again, if this is an issue that is important to you, please make sure you are signed up at:
BLM Colorado | Kremmling & Glenwood Springs RMP Revisions so that you are notified when the public comment period is and you can make sure your voice is heard.
Old 10-07-2010   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Kim,

Thank you very much for making yourself available to work with the boating community through MountainBuzz. I and many others will be very interested in the joint Colorado River Valley/Kremmling Resource Management Plan and look forward to you helping us understand how the alternatives will affect our use of the rivers and public lands. In particular please keep us updated with the results of the Wild and Scenic River Stakeholders Group alternative discussions.

I went through the mailing list signup however the "yes" and "no" buttons at the bottom, along with the affiliation input section didn't work and after submitting my info, I saw no indication that I'd been added. Could you please have the IT folks check into whether the form is accepting peoples' contact info?

Thanks again for posting,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #10
Outdoor Recreation

Silt, Colorado
AH-

I am having our IT people look into that right now. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for the heads up!

-Kim