Black Rock Race Today, Thurs! - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-20-2013   #1
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Black Rock Race Today, Thurs!

Another reminder that the Black Rock Race, otherwise known as the Tom Janney Memorial Class III Black Rock Race, is on for today, Thursday the 20th.

Racers and anyone who wants to help with safety and timing should show up at the takeout at Rigo at 5:30p. This is totally informal and we'll work out the details when we meet. However, baring unlikely dissent, the race will be run in teams of 2, with staggered timed starts. Racers should bring a 6-pack of their favorite brew to contribute to the pot. The spoils will be divided amongst the 1st, 2nd, 3rd place finishers and the safety crew, according to a complex formula prearranged by stubby, aka Other Ian.

Even if you're not a Black Rocker, feel free to show up and watch some lines down Rigo, help with safety if you have the know-how, get a run on lower, or just join the party.

Realistically, my guess is we won't get people in the water until at least 6:30p. Last race, times were in the 25 minute ballpark. Lawson peaked at about the same level as last night, so expect to see flows in the low 600s. It's a friendly medium flow, but the bottom hole in Rigo looks nice and retentive.

See everybody out there!

See the initial thread for all the hype:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...eek-48692.html

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Folks planning on coming should carpool if they can because parking is limited in the canyon. Hope to see lots of you folks tonight.
Old 06-20-2013   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I have a pickup I'll bring for boat/people haulage. I can take two peeps in the cab. PM me if you want to meet at golden or elsewhere for a ride.
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013   #4
CGM

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Anyone going up to run saftery that wants to get a quick run in before the racers begin? Anyone need a partner for the race? I'm contemplating racing if the back feels better by the end of the day, but definitely want to get a lap in...
Old 06-20-2013   #5

Golden, Colorado
I'm going to meet folks at the LIBRARY lot in golden at 5. I have one pickup that can carry a lot of boats but no people. Library lot, not bleachers. That area up by the baseball field gets too full when there's a game.
Old 06-20-2013   #6

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM
Anyone going up to run saftery that wants to get a quick run in before the racers begin? Anyone need a partner for the race? I'm contemplating racing if the back feels better by the end of the day...
Damn! Another contender . My dance card is full. Me and Other Ian are going long.
Old 06-20-2013   #7
CGM

Denver, Colorado
Not sure if I'm a contender today...backs all f'ed up and I can barely look at my feet
Old 06-20-2013   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Chris, I don't have a race partner lined up. Not sure if Bank will take me again since I don't paddle Fluid. When we meet we can see who wants to race and pair off for anyone who hasn't not already lined up their partner. I think there are a few people who are on the fence for racing, so we can apply pressure as needed to get an even number.

Last year we had the safety crew start from the top and boat down ahead of everybody else. I would say that worked great, but it didn't - they just barely had time to set up. It helps if nobody in the safety crew swims (I'm looking at you Ricky). I'd say we do the same thing again, but give them a little more lead time. Then safety crew can finish the run after the last racers go through.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #9
CGM

Denver, Colorado
If Bank doesn't take you up I'll see how much I can get the back warmed up pre race time. Otherwise it'll have to be slower pace for me....but happy to be on the safety crew that heads down through Rigo. Seeing that there's cell service in the canyon now, the safety crew that goes all the way to Rigo can call up to the starting crew when they're ready.
Old 06-20-2013   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
haha thanks for the reminder Kevin. I likely can't get out of the office until 4:45-5ish, but if I miss the start I'll just post up at the narrows and then join anyone that wants to continue down through the lower canyon.
Ricky NM is offline   Reply With Quote