Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Black Rock Race LAST MINUTE NOTICE

Black Rock Race aka Tom Janney Class III Downriver Paddleboat Race
=============
Thurs - June 30th
=============

That's THIS Thursday.

Sorry guys, I consulted my flow Oracle and he (or she) blew it so I'm going for a last minute call to get a good flow window and work with the holiday weekend.

It's that time of year again. The sun is out, Clear Creek is actually clear, flows are dropping fast, and boaters are back in the canyon. The water may not be extreme, but it doesnít mean you canít be! Show up for the annual Black Rock race at the takeout after Rigor Mortis on Clear Creek at approximately 5:30 p.m. to race, spectate, time, provide safety or just have a good time!

We're always slow to gather, so if you can't make 5:30 sharp don't worry too much. If you don't have a partner but want to race we can pair up on game day.

The format will be teams of two, timed from just above Black Rock rapid through Rigo. Entry fee is a six pack per racer to be divvied up amongst the top 3 teams, race safety and timing crew. Iíll be taking notes on who brings the cheap beer.

This year I plan on voting on two items:

Boats: In past years it's been a free for all. This year let's vote on: 1) anything goes, 2) long boats incur a 30 sec penalty, or 3) No long boats.

Swim to Win!: Previously, we've allowed swimming across the finish line to count. This year let's vote:
1) swim to win!, 2) swim = DNF, 3) You can swim but you have to be holding onto your boat for your time to count.

Everybody's welcome. If you don't want to race come spectate, help out with safety, or just join the party. This is a total informal gathering for boaters.

KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2016   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
It's quiet here, but there's plenty of noise on the Facebook. Flows this evening are dropping into the low 700s. I think that's good news for getting a nice 600s level flow for Thursday. That's a great medium flow.

It also sounds like we'll have special guest star Tom Janney himself attending, so don't miss this rare opportunity.
Old 06-29-2016   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Bump. It's hovering around 650 right now, so maybe 600ish tomorrow. That's good news if you want it a little tamer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Best clear creek takeout party of the season! See you tonight.

Is Molina bringing anything explosive or dangerous?
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
If anyone is willing to help with timing I could use one more. Let me know.

I imagine we'll be seeing a few of these moves tonight.

Old 06-30-2016   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Last night rigo dished it out a little bit, should be fun.

PS its pretty obvious that Oliver and I are the favorites, we prefer 4 lokos as our drink of choice
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 10
Unfortunately, I don't have any explosives or anything else dangerous for this years race. However, I will soon. Headed to Wyoming on Sunday. Looking forward to not getting bitchslapped.
High Combat Roller is offline   Reply With Quote