Black Rock Race 2014 - Weds. July 16 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2014   #1
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Black Rock Race 2014 - Weds. July 16

CO paddlers! The 2014 rendition of the Black Rock Race, aka Tom Janney Class III downriver paddleboat race, will be held next Wednesday, July 16. Show up at takeout after Rigor Mortis on Clear Creek about 5:30 p.m. to race, spectate, time, provide safety or just have a good time!

As in year's past, the format will be teams of two, timed from somewhere above Black Rock rapid through Rigo. Entry fee of a six pack per racing to be divvied up amongst the top 3 teams, race safety and timing crew.

We would love to have any willing support for safety at Rigo and perhaps the narrows, along with folks willing to help time!

Invite your friends! Except Forrest...who's not allowed to bring any ringers to race with him! Haha, just kidding, Ben is always welcome!

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014   #2
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Let's say I don't want to run the big rapids, will there be a division for people who want to portage?
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #3
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
We're an informal bunch as you know, so if there's a collective will then maybe there's a way to have a class II+ race as well!

Tango I think that green boat is an unfair advantage, just sayin.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Says the guy with the Remix. Next year we should really just have Marty issue us all RGs for the race and then it'll be a level playing field.

Since we've waited so long, the level should be nice and moderate, maybe even III- level, so there'll likely be no need for a portage division.

Seriously, this is always a good time. Lots of people come up, do the run and set up safety along the way or just show up to cheer the Rigo carnage. I can neither confirm nor deny that there will be a celebrity kayaker like Stookesberry showing up again, but given the race's illustrious history, anything can happen.

If you're willing to help with the timing or play safety coordinator, get in touch ahead of time - it'd be nice to have that lined up.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014   #5

Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Long boats or creek boats?

will there be separate divisions or open class? Any idea of how many racers there will be as of now? Thanks.
christoph440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I expect to see significantly more s#$% talking going on here. I'll be stuck at work, but if I was there I would definitely be running Rigo backwards in my long boat again, but surely with a much better time than Alex and Kyle.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #7
addict

Golden, Colorado
Figures you sissies would wait for low water to hold this race. There are so many class 3 boneheads wearing wetsuit booties out there after work that I can't even park my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Tango, we needed it to warm enough for you to race it Southeastern style. If you need to spice it up, I'm fairly sure Forrest is still looking for a partner to race it in a Duo.
Old 07-14-2014   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Since his run went so well last year....

Old 07-14-2014   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoph440 View Post
will there be separate divisions or open class? Any idea of how many racers there will be as of now? Thanks.
This is a super informal gathering, not a sophisticated race like the Screaming 1/4 mile race. Last year we had 7 teams of 2. Open division. Modern long boats were kind of discouraged, but a few people brought some old school cigar boats and the carnage factor seemed to balance the extra hull speed. If a bunch of people show up with long boats we could always break them out, but doesn't seem likely.