Black rock - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-15-2008   #1

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Send a message via Skype™ to tsavo
Black rock

This is the last section I have not done in the canyon. Wondering how difficult the run is aside from 'rigo', narrows and black rock at this level? I was thinking of just running it and walking if I'm not up for it. Are there other features in there I should know about?

tsavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Honestly, if you are going to walk the big three rapids, you are better off running the lower section (Rigor down). There is some fun boogy water between the put in and Black Rock, but walking around the Narrows is no fun. If you are up for at least the Narrows and Blackrock (honestly, despite Rigor looking big and bad, its only a bit harder then the other big ones) then its worth it, but otherwise just go have fun at Elbow and Screaming Quarter Mile.

JH
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008   #3

oh yeah
the narrows gets a bit easier if you portage the first drop that's just out of sight (left) as you look down from the road. and black rock isn't that bad at medium and lower flows. i'll agree though that the run isn't really worth it if you walk black rock and the narrows. maybe fire up boulder creek above the park or alto alto SBC at medium levels. middle ten mile near frisco would be another good stepping stone.

dan
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
If you haven't run black rock, it might be best to wait until the flows come down below 500 or so for a first time run. Above that its getting juicier with extra flow and could get hectic.

I think its still a good run and worth if you walk the big 3. The run out of black rock and the narrows is more action boating that lower clear creek in my book. Walking the big ones and watching other peoples lines is a good way to get an idea of what those rapids are like before you commit.

Wait til the water comes down a bit, portage the big ones until you feel good about them, and have fun.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
If you haven't run black rock, it might be best to wait until the flows come down below 500 or so for a first time run. Above that its getting juicier with extra flow and could get hectic.

I think its still a good run and worth if you walk the big 3. The run out of black rock and the narrows is more action boating that lower clear creek in my book. Walking the big ones and watching other peoples lines is a good way to get an idea of what those rapids are like before you commit.

Wait til the water comes down a bit, portage the big ones until you feel good about them, and have fun.
Word. Wait until it comes down.a bit. This is not a good level for a first decent. 400-500 is ideal. Go with someone who can show you the line down the Narrows. I've still never run Rigor so I can't comment on that.
KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
The section between black rock & narrows is way fun. One of the longer fairly continous parts of CC. I even offer a commercial raft trip that portages the big 3. The P word scares most custys but it's my favorite commercial trip. If it's worth it in a raft a kayak should be great.
Old 06-16-2008   #7

Golden, Colorado
I've known people to run black rock and portage black rock and take out at the brige above numbers on a regular basis. Leave a car at the rock climbing area along side the narrows. I can't see the attraction to doing that but there must be something to it cause they did it frequently. I doesn't look too bad portage-wise and will give you a taste for the BR run. Even taking out BR and Narrows, I think it would be a good run if you've exhausted Lower, Kermits and Dumont or don't want to drive that far after work. The rest of it is no harder (and probably easier) than the stuff on the other runs in the Canyon.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #8

Golden, Colorado
just want to throw my 2cents in... the stuff right after both BR and Narrows at higher levels is actually more demanding than the named rapids themselves. i'm talking about the 1/4 mile right after BR and Narrows once the river gets over 700 to 800. At those levels the named rapids are pretty flushed out and the rest gets juicy and sticky.
and if you do portage the Narrows be careful walking back down the scree field to the river... i've heard of people breaking legs and twisting ankles in that scree field. i consider the scree field more dangerous than the rapid.