BLACK CANYON TRIP REPORT - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-21-2011   #1

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
BLACK CANYON TRIP REPORT

...ok boys....where is it?....i know who you are, when you went, what the flow was, what the conditions were like, what the rapids were like(except the big birds!)...um.....our trip on the nov 27th was tame compared to the last 2 trips down there....you fukers better call me at least!!!970-275-1890....anybody bite on the big birds(DAYWRECKER, TRIPLE DROP, BALL CRUSHER, NEW GENERATION, GREAT FALLS???)....rumor has it that you guys started hiking in at 4am, hiked out at 5pmish....i met a ranger that patrols at CRESTED BUTTE...he was scouting for an ice climb(GANDOLPH'S BEARD) that forms up just upstream of the cave camp not too long ago...he said there was snow in the HOLE....i suffer from BLACK-A-TOSIS....i need to know how the trip went...time frame etc.....SHITOUTTA(brain cells), thanks for the invite(made me shit my pants!!!)...if it was a few years ago, i would have been there with you whackjobs....my ADD-A-BALLSACK-TO-ME operation this fall was a complete waste of time and money!!!!!so, is it posted somewhere else?....milozadik wishecouldski 420 cb

milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
here is Leif's. Leif and Natalie: Black Canyon... in December

who else went in? yeah need a TR please.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #3

That is Leif's from a couple weeks ago, they went in again this past weekend.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011   #4

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
......different crew....

...hey bobuilds, that was a trip done just prior to this trip....this "trip" was on dec 18th...i am sure the theoretical physics mulletman was behind the stunt....i won't throw names out there.....as to lief's wondering why BALLCRUSHER "has a name at all".....well i nicknamed it that after i saw so many ballsy hairboaters get crushed in there....it is the biggest of the normally run "bigbirds".....rolf k likes to do laps in it!!!...as of lately(3 years), it has changed, making it a bit easier i think....also, boats are better, hairboaters are better....call it what you want.....call it CUPCAKE then....or maybe call me cupcake!!!!......cupcake420cb....
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #5

FC, Colorado
Trip was good fun. Way more snow than our trip earlier in December, a solid 8-10 inches at the putin and temps were a bit colder due to clear skies. Portaging was obviously slow and slightly sketchy due to the shin deep snow and we had quite a bit of ice buildup on gear on the paddle in. The canyon was incredibly beautiful, with snow covered spires and spindrift avalanches pouring down the walls. We had a solid team and routed through daywrecker, but I personally portaged more on that trip than any of my previous ten trips due to the medium high flow, cold temperatures, and not having kayaked much in the past few months. It would be cool to go back at those flows during the regular paddling season and look closer at the big ones. The top of next generation is probably out of play, but the bottom half looks awesome. Same with great falls, looks like a little too much water to run it from the top, but the bottom 20 footer had a badass line, maybe even a little more open and easier to get the key left boof stroke than at lower flows. It was a long day, we starting hiking at 4:45, I think, and made it to the pleasure park at 5:30 in the fading light. It was an awesome day of paddling and portaging with a solid and motivated crew, definitely a perfect note to end a great paddling season on.
Shitouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #6
doesn't need a fake name

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Yeah, I would say ben has underemphasized several aspects of the trip.

The portage was REALLY slow, mostly due to fred and I. We spent most of the portage crawling through the powder, dragging our boats, and crying. Kurt, david, and ben probably waited for like an hour at cave camp. My excuse was that I had a hemrroid. I don't know why fred was so slow.

Daywrecker is not a major rapid, especially at 1600. We didn't even scout it, since ben and I still knew it from the last trip. We didn't run any of the other main ones, but I got innovative and ran a sneak line down the left of balls. Ben and I disagreed about the sketch factor of this sneak line, but I maintain that it is good to go.

We did not take out "right around" dark, we took out about half an hour to an hour after dark. The last few miles were dark enough to see stars. Furthermore, "slalom champ" kurt and "no pain receptors" ben crushed the flatwater much faster than everyone else, and our group had split into five one-person groups by then, which I was not happy about (but there was no way I was stopping to wait for whoever was behind me). Fortunately david spiegel had brought some shuttle drivers, and eric boomer had hiked out with a broken boat, so we had all the cars waiting for us at takeout.

And the reason nobody calls you is that you never come paddling or help with shuttle.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #7

x, x
you guys are bad ass. that is a lot of water to be paddled in 1 day let alone a winter day. holy shit. add ben luck and eric boomer, did you get autographs? nice work!

I moved my seat forward in my creeker, skied a little and had a tooth pulled, i thought that was a big day. i am not worthy....
Old 12-21-2011   #8
doesn't need a fake name

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
ben luck and eric boomer, did you get autographs?
Yeah, they both wanted autographs, but they were pretty shy about it. I always make a point to cater to my fans though. After a trip like that I even did personalized autographs: "To my pal Ben - you're sort of cool" and "To my #3 fan - thanks for the shuttle". Then I gave them a sticker.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #9

x, x
nice! you know you are finally somebody when the guy standing next to you is leif.
Old 12-21-2011   #10

FC, Colorado
Sorry about the sneak line sketch factor disagreement, I just don't know what I would have done if my hero and mentor had gotten worked. It would have shaken me to the very foundations of my fragile soul. Luckily, you made it look like manky class II and left me sitting there on the bank, throwbag in hand, shaking my head and crying to myself, "I lost faith in Leif's innovative genius! How could I have ever doubted him? Repent! Repent!" Thanks for the autograph and sticker, by the way. Someday, I'm going to sit my grandchildren down my knee, show them your autograph, and tell them the story of that time I went paddling with Leif. Thanks for going kayaking with me. It was a good day.
Shitouta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black canyon