Black Canyon: SOB Portage - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-02-2006   #1

Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 98
Black Canyon: SOB Portage

We had a group of 5 from CKS run the Black Canyon on Mon-Tues. The flow was about 1200 cfs, probably my favorite level so far. Based on info from the group that went in a few weeks back, we knew that the "Hairy Ferry" at the base of SOB gully could be dicey. A new rock slide had crashed into the river, constricting the flow at the Hairy Ferry and the Seal Launch as well. You could still attemp this move, and the group before had pulled it off; however, its a must make move above some major drops/sieves. The new rock slide makes it sketchy to hit the small eddies on river right. If you miss it you're screwed...

After scouting the Seal Launch portage zone we found that you could scramble across the big rocks just upstream of the seal launch...almost all the way to river right just above what Milo calls the "holding tank." The scramble involves walking around some crazy looking potholes that are filled with algae, then sliding into the water upstrream of the big eddy on river right that sets you up for an easy paddle to river right...avoiding all sketch. Pulling this off took us about 15 mins with a group of 5. There's a rock cairn 40 feet upstream of the seal launch that marks the zone.

I'll post some pics of this move when they are avilable.

PS- The new rapid is sweet! Run it center driving right and avoid the huge hole at the bottom, and the one after it...

Salida Ranger 420

bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2006   #2

Thanks for the beta Bryan!
Old 08-04-2006   #3

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
.......very true BOWEN, that ferry is "demanding" to say the least and made me feel weird.......everyone else went for the SEAL LAUNCH, leavin' me alone at the teeter-totter rock.....thank GOD FRONTRANGEFRED was there to grab my boat......jr420cb
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006   #4

Bryan,

The new portage route worked great. Thanks for the beta. Six completed it this weekend.
Old 08-07-2006   #5

crested butte, Colorado
.......in your honest opinion, could the new carry-ferry be dealt with solo?........milo
Old 08-08-2006   #6

Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 98
Cutch, I'm glad you boys made it down there...one of the most awesome places around. How'd it go? 1 day? Overnight?

Captain, YOU could solo the new portage. It will take a little time. Make sure you bring at least 12' of webbing to pull your boat onto rocks with...these boulders are too big to jump on to. Don't fall in the bottomless algae pit or there will be nobody around to hear you scream. You will need to have good balance when you wedge you boat in the CAMEL TOE...works best with STERN on ROCK....then slide in for an easy paddle to the river right eddy....

Meng and I are heading to BC...(not BLACK CANYON)...we'll see you montrose box monkeys later...
bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #7

Went pretty good. Good flow and weather. Put-on a little late though, and finished the portage in the dark (to cave camp) which sucked. It's hard to miss the poison ivy when you can't see it. We'll see how that turns out. Overall an amazing place, and a lot of work for what it was imo. A fantastic trip to do once, and I'll keep you posted for the round two motivation levels.

Have fun in BC. Which shouldn't be hard to do.
Old 08-08-2006   #8

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Milo- for all the solo trips you do in there, any chance of you taking a machete in there and cutting a path through the poison Ivy, or it just too thick for even that??
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #9

crested butte, Colorado
........WHAT ivy?????......jmfr420cb

Tags
black canyon