Black Canyon revisit - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2006   #1
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Black Canyon revisit

so its at 750 now - but would it be iced up I suppose. Is there a schedule of releases somewhere?

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2006   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I don't remember exactly what phone number to call, but I called up the black canyon national park office, and they ended up getting me a phone number for the guys that operate the dam. I called them and asked them what the plan was. (last year). They would probably be the ones to call up. Very helpful as I recall. Just start calling around to the park, BLM etc and somebody should be albe to get you there.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #3
cdw

call BeuWreck

The Buereau (or however the hell you spell that) of Reclamation runs the dam-- you can ask NPS @ Black Canyon which office to call, as they might give you a prediction "but that is subject to change."
There's a guy in Crusty Butt named Milo who knows the deal
-C
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2006   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Mania-

You must be mind reading. I've been thinking about it since the last bc post, even found a yaker that's been down and cool with rubber tagging along.

By the way I might end up in Dgo this summer, you'll have to show me the fun stuff down there.

Jed
riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
I got this kind reply from the park service.

Quote:
Unfortunately we do not have any sort of reliable means of predicting flow in Morrow Point or Crystal Reservoirs, primarily due to the fact that there are so many variables (electricity demand, unexpected runoff, and water supply needs as determined by the BOR). The Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) does not provide any sort of flow predictions to us and therefore we are unable to assure the user of any sort of maximum flow on any given day. You're right, the only flow information we have is the current flow, as provided by http://waterdata.usgs.gov/co/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060

Typically the ice will begin to break up on the reservoirs in late March and by mid to late April the majority of the ice should be gone. This is, of course, based solely on typical weather, so be sure to check with us before you head out to save you a headache.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us via email or at 970-641-2337 x205.

thanks,

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Curecanti National Recreation Area
Old 02-27-2006   #6
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
milo is definetly the guy you need to seek out.
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #7

Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 98
750 is definately a runnable flow, but the road is still closed to East Portal (last I heard) and there's probably ice in the shady sections. That place is shady enough w/o ice...

The only thing I cant figure out is the erratic release schedule. All summer we had 600 and below flows. Now that its winter we're back up to 700+

I think it would be cool for AW to have a voice here. Not that this run is for everybody, but there's plenty of class III in the gorge too.

Recreational releases...anybody? AW? Milo?? Henge???

Salida Ranger 420
bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #8

Occasionally, the Bureau will inform the NWS river forecast center of their operation plan. When this happens, expeceted releases from crystal are put into the model and the gunnison tunnel flows are subtracted. You can view this forecasted hydrograph here:
http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/river/stat...plot.cgi?GEPC2
or you can call a hydrologist at 801-524-5130 who might have a better idea. (some are more helpful than others.)

One can also call the BOR operations at (970) 248-0660 and inquire about expected releases from crystal (just keep in mind that the tunnel can pull a substantial amount of water before the canyon).

Western Power is operating the aspenall unit in close conjunction with the other reservoirs (specifically Flaming Gorge) to minimize the amount of power they need to purchase on the market. This further confuses the situation.
merry prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #9
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
are most the gnarly drops portageable? i know the 18 footer isnt but what about the rest of the huge boulder gardens in there?
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #10
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
so I started inquiring about the possibility of scheduled recreational releases and the bureau fell strangely silent.

Tags
black canyon