Black Canyon prep? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-06-2008   #1

Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Black Canyon prep?

Drooling over the thought of running the Black Canyon. I know I'm not ready for it this year, but would love to be ready for it next year. What are good runs to feel comfortable on before trying this epic run? Some say it is IV+ only in a remote setting. Thoughts?

I fully understand the implications of the level of commitment and shortage of bail out/rescue options. I'm wondering about the whitewater.

Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008   #2

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
It can be a IV+/V- run if you portage a number of other rapids as well (you'll already tired of portaging even if you run everything). In my opinion however, you should have class V skills and experience no matter how many additional portages you do. One wrong move and your going into a sieve. It is a dangerous run; Cheesman might be the only run in Colorado that has more sieves.
Old 10-06-2008   #3

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkayaker13 View Post
It can be a IV+/V- run if you portage a number of other rapids as well (you'll already tired of portaging even if you run everything). In my opinion however, you should have class V skills and experience no matter how many additional portages you do. One wrong move and your going into a sieve. It is a dangerous run; Cheesman might be the only run in Colorado that has more sieves.
Ditto what xkayaker says. But, are you "drooling" over it as the next step on a running list of self-support runs you've done, or is this going to be your first multi-day V with gear in your boat????? I've done it twice, and certainly wouldn't recommend it as someone's "first" multi-day. If you've already done some other IV/V self-supports with some portaging involved, that's another story. Then, all you need is the right attitude and a willingness to take on the poison ivy..........ah, knew I remembered one reason why I hadn't been down there in a while
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008   #4

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
.....epic run....

....just get a copy of the "IDIOTS GUIDE", it'll get you thru there....just be HONEST when you fill in the part that asks you about your skill level-before beer drinkin'.....XHAIRBOATER13 hit it right on the crane.....easy place to have fun...easier place to plummet.....the best escape route comes at you about 16 miles into the run...it's called CHUKAR TRAIL....the horse shit and piss vapors will help free your soul as you are escaping.....................in the red corner, out of montrose colorado, with tall walls, big drops and multiple portages...long considered as the most dangerous run in colorado with one 18 footer, THE BLAAACK CANYON of the GUNNISON...........and in the blue corner, out of the 303, loaded with pissed off fisherman, rugged manky granite and a tresspass....large boulders with many dark and doomy places and home to SLAP YO MAMA falls,...CHEESEGATER CANYON.........and the referee tonight is STEVE MAZAGATTI.........LET'S GET READY TO ......RUMMMMBLE......JRranger420CB....
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #5

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I suggest the upper taos box for the terrifying feeling of sieves, ugly drops and epic scenery as a beginner's mbox. The drops in cheeseman are more difficult than the commonly run drops in mbox, but you have escape routes and a light boat.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black canyon, expedition, preparation