Black Canyon of the Gunnison rapids beta por favor - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-17-2018   #1

Colorado, Colorado
Black Canyon of the Gunnison rapids beta por favor

Looking for info on rapids that are below the Warner trail. Ran Gunny gorge wilderness section many times, this time we are hiking in via Warner trail and looking to paddle that lower 1/4 section of the Black Canyon through the wilderness section. Read the AWW description but hoping to find a river map with miles and rapids.

AzPackrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2018   #2

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPackrafter View Post
Looking for info on rapids that are below the Warner trail. Ran Gunny gorge wilderness section many times, this time we are hiking in via Warner trail and looking to paddle that lower 1/4 section of the Black Canyon through the wilderness section. Read the AWW description but hoping to find a river map with miles and rapids.

If you've run Chukar down you already 'get' the flavor from Warner down. There are maybe 7 additional rapids between Warner and Chukar. All of them 'go' just fine at these low ~550cfs flows. One that probably warrants a scout if you've never been there before, simply because it's long and complex if not particularly difficult.

The hike down is -- by far -- the hardest part of the trip.
Old 09-17-2018   #3

Colorado, Colorado
Thanks for the beta Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2018   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPackrafter View Post
im in history class and there is a really cool map of it on the wall from the us park service just called ĘBLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISONĘ
ColoradoKayak15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018   #5

Monument, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
+1 on the Hike down Warner is the Hardest Part. Ive been Hiking down WP for over 20 years and floating it with an IK. My first run was with my dad when I was 16. At 550, its an easy float and some spots will be thin for sure but will still be super fun. There are two rapids within a 1/2-3/4 mile or so below WP that will be notable. The first will have some large boulders pour overs and should have some fun play spots if your kayaking.
The second is a large bend in the river and is easy to scout. Pull of river right in a HUGE eddy.
Start middle left and stay left of the large boulder but watch out for the wall on the left. Pick your way down from there. I usually go right on the second boulder and small drop. This is probably the biggest rapid you will see until farther down in the gorge. Here is short video of some pack rafters we saw this last summer on the second rapid below WP. We were fishing and filmed these guys through the run. Good times all around!! Also- I think this was a guided group and not all of these guys had a ton of experience. Youll see that in the vid.

Cheers-Have a great trip!!

This was at 850
stelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018   #6

Monument, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Cant seem to get the video to load. Working on it.

and Edit to my last post...we stay left of the first large boulder and left of the second
stelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018   #7

Colorado, Colorado
Thanks Stelz!

Tags
black canyon