Black Canyon? Ice? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-30-2008   #1

legend
Black Canyon? Ice?

What's the deal in the canyon right now? Is there still a lot of ice? 1500 is a pretty sweet flow.

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008   #2
&d

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
based on visuals of the muffin's stretch of canyon, i am going to say no.

ill put an inner gorge vis on my to do list and get back with it tomorow night
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
me and christian were talking of a one day black canyon run on the way out to escalante when it runs.
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008   #4

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Given the nature of escalante flows, wouldnt it make more sense to hit black canyon on the way back?
Old 03-31-2008   #5
&d

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
no sign of ice in the canyon but..

I took a very meager glance from the park observation points, new gunnison and tomichi, there is very little river to see from there. All the other roads are closed, including east portal. There were 8 unplowed, crusty inches of snow on the rim and the bottom of the canyon was at least freshly coated. It would be hard to say if there is significant old snow on the portage so soon after today's weather.

My moneys on an extra special extended edition portage episode with special bonus features including icy footing and near freezing air temps.
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #6

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
m-box

.........rode chukar on a moto 2 days ago....free of water and mud!!!!!.....flows have gone from 300+ cfs to 2400cfs in the last month....i figure that has destroyed or melted any ice dam activity.....temps in the TROSE were high last week....t's and flipflops.....and cold assed PBR.....true, crystal road to the put-in is plowed but not open due to a particular slide path(snow, mud, rock etc)....one is allowed to walk or ride a bike down this road any time, boat in tow.....but it is about 6-7 miles.....another long portage!!!!!just what the black needs.....extra-cycle? anybody got two of 'em?.......snow in the canyon depths likely.....but not confirmed....will go check tommorrow from S. RIM...........PS....NICK, i no longer work with the monkeys at the academy....they were not serious enough.....sorry, your youth league sounds like a good thing....PSS...MR. GARY WORTHEDGE or whatever your silly name is...ever get a stubby?.....and sure i'll show you the way down the MONTROSE LOWERS.....BUT, i figured a MAN of your CALIBER(quite large i must say!) would just show up in a speedo, oakley blades, bandana and chuck taylors and what the hell ....a sleeveless-mesh half shirt! AND JUST FIRE UP THE LIVIN' SHIT OUT OF THE PLACE........if not, then i'll go first and you can just watch me hack my way down that canyon AGAIN......while i listen to your tuff assed rude fukin remarks...sounds fun huh....JUNIORMUTHAFUKINranger420CB
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #7

legend
damnit. why do they have to release such premium flows when we can't go in???? I would love to get in there over 2K. sounds sick.
Old 04-02-2008   #8

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
myth busters

....as well nick....i am lookin' to do some myth bustin'.....all accounts say the M-BOX is unrunnable at 3,000cfs.....whose accounts?.....and when did they try it? any info?......myself and a montanna kid went in with 1340cfs, 3 years ago....delta was floodiing so the dam keeper sent "1000-1300cfs more" into the canyon........HE'D SHUT OFF THE GUNNISON TUNNEL, killing the m-wave.....but rocking our world....my boy went under rock and we lost some gear....had to hike out to seek help, food and shelter(late fall).....the canyon was runnable up thru the portage....we had our problem 2 paddle strokes into the "ACTION BELOW THE PORTAGE"....(SEE NEW TESTIMENT)...this drop was vicious and very big....but runnable....anyhow the next day the rangers drove us to the put-in so we could gather more gear to finish the run....(don't like half runs!!!!)that day the river had dropped out to 1000cfs....a holiday compared to the day before.....so, i don't know what happens below beach camp at HIGH water......even the sign at the put-in says in capital print.....3000+cfs.....severe hydro's...."DEATH IS LIKELY".......well then,.......the narrows could take more water and not present problems...maybe a bit tricky at the narrows pinch portage....searching for a new ferry at the 2nd ferry zone allows one to avoid the HAIRY FERRY altogether!!.....this area would have been problematic in the past.......we will see flows of 3000cfs or more i feel....it reached 2400cfs in the dead of winter...in anticipation of course of big run-off....but, we keep gettin' more snow.....as is the gunny gorge is good to go....throwdown sess......myth-busting this "3000cfs thing" seems like a good time....extra portages i'm sure.... i sure my boy BIG CHRIS LARSEN-IC will want to mythbust as well.......ta da juniorRANGER420cb
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #9

legend
3000 sounds good....well even better than good...sick. I don't believe for a second that it is "unrunnable" at that level. That's what happens when we leave the river descriptions up to Gordon Banks and his band of old school miscreants. Don't think I'll be running triple drop, but everything else would be unreal. if it reaches 3000 this year, I may have to drop everything and hop into the chunderposse's private jet(single engine cessna) and fly into M-town. I'm sure I could convince mister T.H. the high water king to re-route his plans to trounce this myth. Hopefully my partner in crime K.M. will be interested as well.
Old 04-02-2008   #10

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
I would guess the narrows pinch portage might be runnable with that much water. If the river right eddy disappeared, and it was not runnable you would just have to get creative on the left side.

Any chance you saw "good will huntings" green jefe in there? I got a feeling his boat is long gone.

Tags
black canyon