Bituthene for the grabbing - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2011   #1
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Bituthene for the grabbing

Everyone seems to know me as the guy to get bitch from, and the last few requests I've been out.

I just recently picked up a HUGE amount of it from a job where the crew was from out of state, so I've got COPIOUS amounts of it now.

If you need some (we all need it imo) let me know. I live in Dumont, and don't go to the city, so please don't ask, but am always willing to meet someone around here or in Scummit (I work in Blue Shiver, past Breck)

btw, if you carry a 16x4 chunk of bitch, a small rag, and a lighter in a drybag in your creeker, you can fix nearly any crack you would ever get boating, and do it right on the bank in about 5 min... then carry on your merry way. It can SERIOUSLY save the day, cool stuff.

I don't want any money, as I didn't pay for it either.
(in lieu of cash, donations can be made to the "make Kaleb stop bitching about the lawson hole" fund.)

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm up in Idaho Springs frequently and would be stoked to meet you and snag a little of that bituthene. If I'm not up there today I'll definately be up there saturday or sunday. when would be a good time/place for you to meet up?
pem27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #3
I kayak DH.

Any time man, shoot me a PM & I'll get you my #.

I'm sure I could muster the big trip down to the HO!

I think I've got 6 rolls of it (12" wide or so) and would like to get rid of about 1/2... that's a TON of boat patches!!!!
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011   #4

Shit Creek, Colorado
WWPR,
Would love to get a few pieces next week when we go boating. I bet Brett B would like a little too, but I think his computer is on the fritz. Is the 12" width by CC county measurements or actually 12"?
Old 06-03-2011   #5
I kayak DH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powdahound76 View Post
WWPR,
Would love to get a few pieces next week when we go boating. I bet Brett B would like a little too, but I think his computer is on the fritz. Is the 12" width by CC county measurements or actually 12"?

This would be the mind measurement of an estimator who is about as accurate as the common weatherman! (so anywhere from 4" to 25")

Maybe I could just drop off a roll at the buzz in gtown. one roll would be enough for 40 patches at least, I'd think.

Got a bunch of PM's... and that will use up about 5% of what I've got!
Old 06-03-2011   #6

Shit Creek, Colorado
I like that idea of dropping it at the Buzz. Brett and Marty could keep it out back and it would be easy to pick up. Then people could buy a snack, meal, or just a cup of coffee and support a local small business owned by a boater. If you do drop one off, let me know and I will post directions, phone, and hours for people because I think Brett's computer is being fixed.
FYI for those who dont know, The Mountainbuzz Cafe is a locals spot in Georgetown with good food and coffee.
Old 06-03-2011   #7

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
[QUOTE=
btw, if you carry a 16x4 chunk of bitch, a small rag, and a lighter in a drybag in your creeker, you can fix nearly any crack you would ever get boating, and do it right on the bank in about 5 min... then carry on your merry way. It can SERIOUSLY save the day, cool stuff.[/QUOTE]

I have never used bitch, what is the repair process, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-03-2011   #8
I kayak DH.

I take the cloth (I have a 12X12 chamois folded up in there) and dry the surface. I cut the bitch with my knife & round off the edges (makes a bit of a mess of the knife with the tarry surface) then I heat it just a touch with the lighter to make sure it sticks solidly. Put the bitch on, press it down firmly, then heat it with the lighter (just a little, it seals with sunlight even in the winter, so not much heat is needed) to bond it well. Once it's fixed, you won't have to touch it again, it's permanent. I've got an air that I wore a HOLE in about 4 years ago, patched it & still use it as a spare.

go figure that this will wear out the bottom of the boat huh? Who knew?

if you're doing it at home, you just clean the spot, cut the bitch, slap it on, and let it sit in the sun for a day.
Old 06-05-2011   #9

oh yeah
hey kaleb, i'd love a chunk as well. hell i might even throw you a 6'er of cheap beer for your trouble.

and for anyone else wishing to repay kaleb or not sure what to get him for his b-day he's a sucker for malt beverages. a couple 40s of old english goes down real smooth for kids from minnesota, don't ya know.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote