Billings, MT - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-26-2012   #1

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Billings, MT

Buzzards,

Has anyone lived in Billings?

How did/do you like it in terms of boating, skiing (inbounds and backcountry), and mountain biking?

Anything you wished you knew about the town when you moved there?

Is it as bereft of culture as it seems from the highway?

I'm a kayaker with a class V skill set who also enjoys playboating. My wife is a class III paddler who dabbles in big-water IV. We both snowboard and bike.

-Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012   #2
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
My neighbor lived their most his life and talks about kind of a shitty nightlife seen with too many tweakers. Montana is all about driving large distances. A 4 hour drive is not considered long by most Montanan's. While many goods can be had in under a 4 hour drive from Billings it's worth considering. Billings is 2 hours from Bozeman and Cody which both have vastly better opportunities for outdoors activities. If you make friends in these towns I think you can do alright with weekends crashing on couches. The red lodge area seems to have options as well which would be day trip material. Unfortunately it looks like it's over an hour for any whitewater boating or skiing.
Old 10-26-2012   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
If you are moving to MT skip Billings. Check out Bozeman instead. Much better access to white water as well as skiing.
Bpsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012   #4

The Bitterroot, Montana
If your set on Mantana Bozeman or Missoula are the places to look if you want any sort of social life. Bozeman has better skiing (although lost trail is sick), Missoula has better climbing. Boating is kind of a toss up. Bozeman has Gallitan, Quake, Bit T, Yellowstone, Bear Trap, Stilly, Sweetgrass, close to Jackson and Henrys Fork, West RB.... Missoula has Prospect, Trout Creek, Kootanai Creek, Bear Creek, NF Blackfoot, Blackfoot, Boulder Creek, Rock Creek, some other crappy stuff in the Bitterroots, Clarks Fork, also closer to Kootanai River, Yaak River, Salmon, Selway, Two Med, Swan, Flathead, Lochsa which counts for a lot if you like 5 weeks of big water, although Bozeman is closer to THE BOX which also counts for a lot.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #5

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 2003
Billings is a decent place to live, all what you make of it. I live an hour south in Red Lodge, there is plenty of boating within a couple hours of here plus the Beartooth's are a stones throw from here...something most Montanan's forget about, but all the better, yes you should move to Missoula or Bozeman
Old 10-27-2012   #6

missoula, montana
Paddling Since: 1990
billings

I've heard the stillwater is pretty bad ass and have always wanted to get over there and run it. I did live in Billings for a few months and that was my only regret. I just started working in North Dakota and will be trying to run it, and also will be making as many trips as I can back to Missoula and Bozeman area to run the the whitewater over here, as mentioned in the above posts. Hit me up closer to spring and we could rideshare if you don't mind rolling with a catarafter.
sean_d_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Pm mttodd, he lives there.
Old 10-27-2012   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Mark I'd visit first. The whitewater is so so.. Nothing like the north fork. I'd go more towards bozeman or Missoula. Bozeman has some really good creeking, crazies, hyalite creek, dearborn is close as well as some stuff in the tobacco roots. Bear trap is sick quake runs year round at about 800-900 thru winter 2k range in the summer. Gallatin river is super quick and easy to grad and super fun lots good granite boulders. Beartooths do have some whitewater, some looks like there could be some more exploratory to do.. If you want to check out bozeman sometime you got a place mark. Bozeman is good place cause you open your range east and west & south and north(glacier) 5 hours to Casper 3.5 to Jackson 2 hours to Mesa, 1.5 hours to big timber campground, hyalite is 10 minutes, gallatin is like 30 minutes. If you lived in billings min commute to the beartooths is not quite as easy even though the pots are there.. I'd try and grab a copy of Surf Montana if possible. As for bitter roots def not the quality of some of the other creeking in the state like big t. Big t is the shit I got on it 7 times this year.

Pretty sure I meet you at the rendezvous rodeo many years back. You and David Schmitt started your midnight run down the snake and lost the rest of the group, you guys missed the take out, and you and Schmitt paddled down to the narrows where you both climbed up to the road and hitch hiked.. True story Mark?

Bozeman def has the goods in terms of skiing. If you combined yellowstoneclub big sky and moonlight basin which you can ride a lift from big sky and eventually work your way to moonlight. Can't compare anywhere else that's three mountains, big mountains, plus Bridger bowl and the several other ski resorts within 3 hours red lodge, and a couple other mom and pop powder stashes
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #9

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for all the feedback. We kind of figured that after work paddling options were scarce. Mike, I have no idea what you're talking about. But Dave Schnidt was a cool guy -- way more sack than anyone else at that rodeo.

Any thoughts on the mountain biking options?
Old 10-27-2012   #10

Waha, Ida'maho
Paddling Since: 01
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwaterpaddler View Post
Billings is a decent place to live, all what you make of it. I live an hour south in Red Lodge, there is plenty of boating within a couple hours of here plus the Beartooth's are a stones throw from here...something most Montanan's forget about, but all the better, yes you should move to Missoula or Bozeman
Shout out to Nate Dawg!

Nate is right, Billings is pretty alright but it certainly is an industrial town loaded with crackies. Stillwater is super fun but dont go there or itll get too crowded. Redlodge is the bees knees.

As for Bozeman, its so damn popular (california) that it has less than 1% unoccupied rentals. Damn near impossible to get a job, and the prices of property is stupid.

Missoula is way more down to earth but the winter inversion sucks bad. Missoula is truely the center of the whitewater community for all the salmon and selway and lochsa trips.