Big water question #1: What's the best way to punch a hole? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-09-2004   #1

Big water question #1: What's the best way to punch a hole?

I just ran the Middle Fork of the Salmon at 4.5 feet (~5000 cfs), which is moderately high water.

We screwed up and came up on Velvet Falls without being set up to avoid the hole. I barely punched it by getting speed, and sinking my paddle deep.

Any other suggestions on how to punch a big hole? What about purposely flipping and reaching down for flushing water?

Thanks.

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2004   #2

Boise, Idaho
All holes are different. But sounds like you did the right thing. I paddle the NF Payette everyday and you can really learn to run holes on that river. I make sure I am always leaning way forward, shoot for the corners if possible, grab as far downstream as I can. This can actually be real fun boatin'. Ledge holes are a different story. If you get stuck in one of those, try paddling to the sides, turn the boat uptream and dip the bow to cartwheel/creekwheel out, and if you find yourself upsidedown, as a last resort ,you can go for the reaching deep thing. If you try the latter method just don't roll up until you are past the boil. No worse feeling than thinking your out and getting sucked back in.

Have fun!
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
Since I am recovering from surgery for just that issue, I will add to the previous post. If you reach deep while caught in a hole, try to do it with your body and be extremely mindful of where your paddle is. If the deep, downstream water grabs your paddle you can cause quite a bit of damage. I did however flush from the hole.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2004   #4

gh, say more!

The water ripped your shoulder? Standard dislocation?
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
Green or downstream water grabbed my paddle ripped it over my head and tore my pec major. I thought it had healed and then I tore it again this spring. Turns out that it had never healed and it was tearing from the bone. I had about 5% attached until the surgery. All my rehab had just built up the pec minor and serratus and various other support muscles.
I was in the hole for a while trying just about everything to get out. When you get that low on oxygen I think ejecting and flushing might be a good option as well.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Velvet falls is a bit on the pour-over side of things. I've run it really low and really high. Speed is your best friend.
Chris Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004   #7
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Rodeo it!! If

you're havin' fun it's safer than panicing.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004   #8
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Rodeo it!! If

you're havin' fun it's safer than panicing.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big water