BIG THOMPSON FLOWS - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-30-2003   #1

Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
BIG THOMPSON FLOWS

I know this may sound desperate, but the big thompson has 164cfs in it, and I herd that the five plus stuff has been run at or around 175 cfs..
I live up in Estes Park and that is to close to me and close enough CFS for me to want to run it.. My question is: is that to low? I have not run it before but know where the sives are and feel comfortable in class 5..
if you want to run it tommarow (thursday) call me at 970-218-4228

thanks
patrick

boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2003   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
good to go!

The upper Big T is good to go at this level. It is probably just shy of idael. It gets run down towards 125 cfs although it is really bony below 150. It is a very short section, probably less than 1/2 mile. It is however very action packed, including a 15 footer with no warm up. Scout carefully, if you have never run it; pin potential and sharp road debris are abundant. The put in is a few miles above Drake, near a handicap accessable fishing deck.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003   #3
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
flows have gone up

how about at 270? I imagine that if it is good to go at 170, then it is getting pushy now? Is this run for very experienced creekers only? Thanks, Alex
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2003   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
Yihaaaaa!

270cfs is prime! In my opinion the optimal range is between 250-350cfs.

This is a road side creek run with 2 steep V/V+ drops. At this level, the stuff between the 2 big drops is fun V- or so creeking. Scout carefully, there's are a couple of undercuts and sieves in this section. This is a super short run with easy access which makes it easy to run laps. Good Fall creek boat run.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003   #5

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Big T at 270 is golden!
Words of advice: we ran the Upper Big T at 300cfs during the summer and the double drop was unrunnable due to a nice fat log spanning the entire top of the drop. I thought that the log had been removed by some motivated Estes paddlers, but lo and behold, upon closer inspection the log is still there. The log had just dropped slightly with the low flow, but I would imagine that with a little more flow it will be back to its ugly position blocking the entire entrance to the drop (it was wedged in there pretty good as far as I could tell). The drop can be portaged from river level if this is case, but should be done on the left, before going around the corner to the river right above the drop. This is probably the best and hardest drop on this strecth, but the rest (especially the first drop) is well worth the trip for the jonzing creeker. I'm just praying it's still running this weekend. Wear the pogues and be careful out there if you go today, cause there is some freezing sh!t happenin' right now.
EJ
Hopefully the log has miraculously moved and if it has, Patrick or whoever ends up there, please post us an update.
Old 10-30-2003   #6

Teacher, Colorado
I am going at 11

I was just down there and checked it out... Now I am getting my cold weather gear and going creeking!!!! Come join if you want... I will put on at 11am.. If not give me a call for this weekend b/c I would for sure be into it some more..
970-218-4228
have fun and stay warm..
patrick
Old 10-30-2003   #7

Teacher, Colorado
ran the big t

It is all in.. Very cold but very fun.. I did not run the double drop in fear of that wood, but I did not see any real big chunks..If it is running on sunday I will be there give me a call..
thanks
patrick
Old 10-30-2003   #8

Steamboat, Colorado
yea, i bet it was cold
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003   #9

Mad Scientist/Creeker
If you didn't see the log at the top of the double drop (or what Frenchy has labled as the "middle drop" in the photo gallery) then it has moved and we can praise the river gods (or whoever got it out of there). I would still approach with caution and it is such a short run that a quick scout of the whole section is a very easy thing to do. Has anyone run down further. I drive the Big T almost every day because I work in RMNP and it would seem there is another couple of good rapids about 1.5 miles further down the canyon. Might be worth checking out, but more likely, if you need more action after the first run, get out and do it again (but this time with hand paddles!) If it is still a go I am definelty up for some action this weekend or even possibly on friday afternoon.
Evan
Old 11-01-2003   #10

Teacher, Colorado
Sunday on the BIG T

Looks like it is back up around 270! If any one wants to or is going to run the harder stuff please call or email me.. There is no one up in Estes Park to run hard stuff with and I want to get back on the run tommarow..
[email protected]
970-218-4228
thanks
patrick

Tags
big thompson