Big Thompson Beat Down - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-25-2012   #1

estes park, Colorado
Big Thompson Beat Down

With the lack of snow pack and all the fires causing most boaters to fall into a state of shock, I thought Id invite anyone and everyone who may be interested in a good time to come on up to Estes Park to run the Big Thompson!
The Big Thompson??!!! What? Theres a river in Estes Park?
Yes, Its boney, in fact, I consider this to be a hybrid sort of combat boating, fish hooks, tree limbs, and agro elk, and its probably best to bring a full face helmet, elbow guards, and your old boat! Its running around 120 cfs, and from what I can tell, no one boats this stretch of river unless they are demented, which must include me, because Ive run in several times a week since the summer began. And even though you will probably feel as if you hit every rock in the river, there are good times to be had for sure. Threeish miles, from up by the YMCA and down thru town taking out somewhere down river after stopping for a beer or two along the way (the rock or eds typically). Ive taken several friends down this stretch of river, most have had mucho problemas due to all the rocks, and though Im not a real experienced boater, Ive had a genuinely fun time doing this run again and again. When the water was up this year I was even able to hike up into the NP to run glacier creek to the big T, supper craggy but technically fun.
My schedule is flexible so call if youre interested. Nine seven O, four 4 three, 0704.
No haters or bitching.
We made several runs on the blue yesterday, its running 500+ beneath the reservoir.
PS: a free beer for whoever can survive the Big Thompson Beat Down.

pocketumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012   #2

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I know someone that will paddle that mank with you, Gannon White. I am sure he will reply soon!
Old 06-25-2012   #3

The lack of carnage in this post is disappointing.
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
The lack of carnage in this post is disappointing.
No doubt. I was all excited burn at least a few minutes reading a carnage tale. Boo.
Old 06-25-2012   #5

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Guess he/she hasn't heard of me!

Paul and I ran the main section and the Big Dam at 150 cfs and I have run everything at 90. Not saying that's my minimum!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #6

estes park, Colorado
many apolgies i have no carnage stories for you all, to be honest, i really haven't had any problems with the rocks, i was nearly fish hooked last week, and i paddled thru a wedding too, but as I said, i think the big thompson from the Y thru town has been really enjoyable. i may have padded the cfs a bit, perhaps you'll agree. i've run downstream and upstream, both are equally messy and equally fun.

down from the lake is exiciting too, casual, but exciting.

perhaps a few of the new estes boaters will chime in with their carnage stories???
Old 06-25-2012   #7

estes park, Colorado
hey gw, come on up and boat, two or three or more of us try to boat several times a week or more...
Old 06-25-2012   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketumbleweed View Post
many apolgies i have no carnage stories for you all, to be honest,......

perhaps a few of the new estes boaters will chime in with their carnage stories???
Beat down in thread title....such a tease. Now get your go pro on, go get your ass whipped and post up. All will be forgiven.

I once did the Murtaugh of the Snake at 80cfs, you got nothing on me. Caustic cow crap water, got an ear infection, fell during one of the portages (there were many rapids where the water disappeared completely) and got a nasty infection that took almost two months to heal. Swam badly in one of the early broach opportunities ( Normally known as rapids) and got beat up on the sharp lava rocks.

Pffftt.....
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #9

Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Hmm, has any of you ELFers run Black Canyon of the Bear at 329, like it is now? That sounds downright "bonafide" by June 2012 standards. Below Grace Dam
Not sure about Grace Piton, I mean Falls, tho.
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big thompson