Big Thompson - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2008   #1

Loveland, Colorado
Big Thompson

All,
Looks like that runoff is starting to come down the Big Thompson. However, it also looks like we are passing the "bigger water" late at night, between 2 and 9 a.m. That is the time we have the larger release scheduled from Olympus Dam on Lake Estes.

Tonight (June 2) at 2:30 a.m., we will bump up releases to 585 cfs. We will scale them back to the mid 400s by 9 a.m.

Big T above Lake Estes is expected to hit the 700s late tonight.

Just FYI.
Best,
Kara

Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008   #2

Longmont, Colorado
thanks kara!

Anyone one to get an early run in tomorrow?
crackeryaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks Kara. CAn't you let the 700 out during daylight though?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to bolsito
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackeryaker View Post
Anyone one to get an early run in tomorrow?
I can paddle anytime tomorrow. I've never run the Big Thompson, but from what I've read it sounds like the IV/IV+ section is in my range. Anyone who's planning on running it tomorrow let me know.

Scott
bolsito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #5

Loveland, Colorado
Oly releases to Big T STILL HIGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
Thanks Kara. CAn't you let the 700 out during daylight though?
Oh no! I misread the water order. My apologies to all. I was reading the diversion tunnel operations at Oly Dam, not the operations of the Dam itself.

WE DID NOT REDUCE releases at Oly Dam this morning.

Releases from the dam to the Big Thompson River should stay in the upper 500 cfs range all day.

Not sure what the change at the gate late tonight will be.

--Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
Old 06-03-2008   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
This is incredible news! The big T at 575 is an awesome med/high flow that stomps! Too much fun! Continuous IV/IV+ and the big rapid in the middle of the section from below the gnar to drake is action! In 2006 it ran at 560 for a day or so, and the last time it had flows this high prior to that was 2003. Its a rare treat to get such a good level on this run. Get it tonight while its here!

Thanks Kara!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #7

Loveland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
This is incredible news! The big T at 575 is an awesome med/high flow that stomps! Too much fun! Continuous IV/IV+ and the big rapid in the middle of the section from below the gnar to drake is action! In 2006 it ran at 560 for a day or so, and the last time it had flows this high prior to that was 2003. Its a rare treat to get such a good level on this run. Get it tonight while its here!

Thanks Kara!
Then you will like this update I just sent to all my e-mail lists regarding the C-BT project:

All,
I've gotten quite a few questions today about operations on the Colorado-Big Thompson Project because of the spring run-off. I thought it would be helpful to include all facilities in this update to show a "snapshot" of the entire project.

Yes, it is true: run-off from mountain snow is peaking. Inflows into Lake Estes down the upper Big Thompson (which comes from mountains east of the Continental Divide) reached over 800 cfs late last night. That water is considered "native" flow and we pass it through the Estes reservoir on downstream.

"Imported waters" are what we are bringing over from the west slope as part of the Colorado-Big Thompson Project.

We use the C-BT imported project water to generate electricity at the hydro-powerplants and then to deliver to C-BT project water users. This water also fills the C-BT reservoirs.

Last night, we responded to the peaking inflow at Estes by increasing our releases to the lower Big Thompson to about 585 cfs. Tonight, we expect even larger inflows, so we will be bumping up the release from Olympus Dam to the Lower Big T to 655 cfs. That change will happen around 2 a.m. tonight (June 3). Please be aware Wednesday morning and through the day (June 4) this higher flow will be in the Big Thompson.

The water we are importing for the C-BT project is traveling, via tunnel, to power generation along the southern power arm of the project. Folks in and around the Pinewood Reservoir area might notice fluctuation in the reservoir as a result. It is currently at an elevation of 6566--about 15 feet down from completely full.

After producing power, we are still pumping some water to Carter Reservoir. But, because water users are also taking water, the slight gain in water elevation might be too small to notice--today the gain in elevation was about half an inch. The reservoir is sitting at a water level elevation of 5722 feet.

We are also running about 100 cfs to Horsetooth. Water use there has gone up and down over the last week. But, because we are running more water into that reservoir, the rate of drawn down has slowed. In fact, today, the water level elevation did not change. It stayed at 5406.80 all day.

With the cooler weather anticipated to move in this evening, we are expecting to see that peaking run-off into Lake Estes to drop down a bit. Demands out of Horsetooth and Carter, and out of the Big Thompson River, might also slow down a little. Weather remains the driving factor on how much water moves through the C-BT project and how fast. If the temperatures heat up again, we can expect to see the elevations of the reservoirs start dropping slowly, but noticably, again. If the weather gets and stays cool, water elevations are more likely to even out, or have movement that is not noticeable without a gage.

I will keep you posted if there are any major changes. But, as always, please feel free to contact me with any related questions or concerns.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
Old 06-28-2008   #8

I live on the Big Thompson and looking for other Kayakers to run with...

I live right on the river and i am looking for boater to run with, the class 3 and some of the 4...

let me know

paul
(970) 586-7734
[email protected]
kayak-kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big thompson