Big T -Estes Lake to above the Gnarr Questions - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-29-2008   #1

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Big T -Estes Lake to above the Gnarr Questions

A few us are looking for a class III run for Saturday.

I understand that you can put in right below lake Estes and paddle 5 miles or so to the handicap access before the Big T Gnarr section? In never seeing this and not wanting to drive there for nothing, can anyone tell me about this section? Class rating, hazards, and would it be worth or is it doable at 250cfs?

Thanks,

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008   #2

Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
A few us are looking for a class III run for Saturday.

I understand that you can put in right below lake Estes and paddle 5 miles or so to the handicap access before the Big T Gnarr section? In never seeing this and not wanting to drive there for nothing, can anyone tell me about this section? Class rating, hazards, and would it be worth or is it doable at 250cfs?

Thanks,
I haven't done that section, but I have been running down to Drake lately, and would say the minimum would probably be 280. 280 is pretty bony though, so I'm guessing it is too low now.
Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #3

Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
Run The Blue

If I were you and looking for class III saturday, head up to the Lower Blue:

Lower Blue

They are releasing water through Saturday (at least), so that is a good late season class III run, with good water right now...I think I saw a thread with some other folks heading up there too...
Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008   #4

Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
250 would be kinda scrappy through some of this section, used to boat it alot when I lived in Estes, though it has been a few years since I've run it. I recall one or 2 III+/IV- sections/rapids, the rest II/III.
dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008   #5

It was a while back, but I remember that there were a couple river wide strainers (logs) in this section. You might want to road scout first.
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #6

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Well, with the encourgement of a fellow paddler, we ran this section on Monday at 265cfs.

For my ability, it was pretty boney/technical, but very doable. If your a canoest, bring your short plastic boat, as it was hard on the Royalex open boats at that level.

We met a local named Paul at the put in and he showed us his lines. We were glad we did, as I am sure we would have had more rock bashing, running it for the first time at this level.

I liked this run a lot and look forward to doing it again. It seemed similiar to the North Saint Vrain III+ section, but a lot longer, 7 miles or so. I am sure it would be much better with another 75 cfs or so.

We did encounter some unhappy fishermen that gave us the evil eye. Not sure what you can do about that as it is a tight small river bed and you need to be where the water is.

If you like mere mortal creeking like North Saint Vrain, you would probably like this run too.