Big T @ 572cfs today - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-04-2010   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Big T @ 572cfs today

Holy shizz... thats a great flow. Just talked to Kara and she thought it would go all day.

We've had some great late seaon flows with the rain the big T maintenance.... Love it!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010   #2

Who wants it? Ian? I gotta get a charger for my phone and then I'll be available at 512 789 3649. KEN.
Old 08-04-2010   #3

Denver, Colorado
Wish I could go today Ken, but don't think I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010   #4

looking for people to run the Big Thompson today - wednesday. call me - Paul 970 586 7734
kayak-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010   #5

Loveland, Colorado
All,
Thanks to Ian for keeping posts on Big T up. I've been in and out of the office a lot, lately.

Heard today that they are about to get the power plant back on-line. Looks like tonight (August 5) at midnight, they will drop releases from Olympus Dam to the Big Thompson back down to about 125 cfs and begin generating hydro-power again with the rest.

Feel free to call or e-mail me if you have questions.
Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010   #6
suigeneris

loveland, Colorado
T

Well, just when I thought I owned the T, it took control today. I'm quite impressed how an additional 170 cfs above the usual 400 makes the T super 'pushy'. I was just along for the ride and glad the River God spared me. It is amazing how this river at this flow puts me back in my place-mere mortal attempting to enjoy solid and continuous IV without a bit of stress.

It's funny how I am totally at ease on the Poudre or Ark even at high water( 5.4 ft Poudre and 3000cfs ark), but somehow the T at 570 cfs just SCREAMS down that canyon with a fury. I'm curious how others feel about the T at this higher level?

On the plus side the Pendelton whiskey and Moose Drool slid down the hatch much quicker...
suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #7

Anyone have a good idea of how much water is taken out at the Dille Dam? Whatever it was at today wasn't bad, but not sure I'd want to go much lower. Our guess was ~150-200cfs flowing below it with ~600 above it (based on gauges), or ~400cfs worth of diversion?

I know from Kara's past postings and looking at it, there can be a significant diversion around the narrows through it, but wasn't sure where it maxed at. Also hadn't found anything on the web talking about it in anything other than total acre feet of diversion through the year.

John
jtnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #8

Denver, Colorado
John, there are several gauges on the dwr site that get you the info you are looking for.

Big T at the canyon mouth will get you close to how much is in the narrows after everything else is pulled out.
Detail Graph

There is a gauge for the dille diversion as well
Detail Graph

There is also a guage for the north fork big T at drake. Main inputs to the big T are the dam output of big T below lake estes and the north fork at drake. Outtakes are dille diversion, and a diversion at the idlywylde dam that I don't know how much is taken out through.

Big T at 570 is a great juicy flow. Its pushy and has a surprising amount of speed the first time you get on it. Yes its got an extra stomp from the moderate 300-400 levels that many see. We got on it at 1000+ cfs this year and it was classic high water non stop freight train. Love it! 3 cheers for big T maintenance.
Old 08-06-2010   #9

Thanks! I hadn't known abou the canyon mouth gauge nor the Dille diversion gauge. Have to add them onto my list. The other two I've used over the years. 570 was fun. Would have been nice to have gotten one more run from the Gnar down at that flow. John
jtnc is online now   Reply With Quote