Big T - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-14-2004   #1
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Big T

Big T is up to 241 cfs. Get on it while you can. There is also a nice Class IV/IV+ section from below the Class V down to Drake. It is not in any book though.

Arn

Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2004   #2

Systems & Process Design, Colorado
I think the IV/IV+ section needs about 500cfs to make it worth while.
Old 09-14-2004   #3
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Water

I have done it down to 235 cfs and it is fine, although it does get a little bony. You can't be too choosy in September.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2004   #4

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Hmmmmm, bony roadside front range steep creek, sounds like my cup of tea! I'll be there tomorrow if someone wants to meet me, for some reason I've never managed to hit this. How does it compare to SSV?
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #5

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Badkins,
Patrick and I will proabably hit this early in the A.M before work...like putting in at 8am or so. You're welcome to join if you want to. As for the comparison, the inbetween is a lot like SSV (technical V-), but the big drops are BIGGER than anything there (read:scary but cool). The Wall section of SSV Narrows is = in difficulty to hardest stuff on Big T. Give a shout if you want to go.
EvanJ
P.S. Anyone else wanting to run this section, before you go check out
http://www.coloradokayaking.com/main...s&riverid=BigT
for a description of the class V stuff.
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #6

Does anyone have any info on the section from Veistenze/Smith to the mouth(difficulty, features, hazards etc.)? Hope it's still running after work.
soylent green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #7
suigeneris

loveland, Colorado
beta

There are 2 short sporty rapids between the park and dam. Below the dam offers the narrows section which is semi-continuous III at this level.Bring your playboat and expect to donate a wee bit of plastic as the "T" is still bony at this level. As mentioned, a great run to get wet on in September. For those looking for a huge HUCK, note the 25 foot drop over the dam at the mouth. While usually too shallow for survival, there is an inordinate amount of agua pumping into the river from a diversion tunnel just above the falls. It has created a huge boiling cauldren above the dam and increased the depth below. If it is deep enough......

Also, do check the AM flow as Estes Lake might have closed the valves at midnight. I was climbing in the canyon around 1pm today and noticed the flow increase. Sadly, it often only runs for 24 hours. Bring your climbing gear just in case. We will boat it around 2pm if it is still running, my # is 970-669-1929.
Rich
suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #8

Level is still going up! Matt, lets meet at Viestenze Smith at 3:45 and do a real run after work.
soylent green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #9

Can anyone run the class V section today around 2-2:30. give me a call at

847-975-8164
huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #10

engineer
Well Mr Green, I haven't swam the BIG T yet, and I am on track to swim every river I get on, so maybe we should check it out.....

I forgot your mobile # at home, so give me a call.. I wont be able to make it to the Thompson until 4:30...
bouldrmatty is offline   Reply With Quote