Big storm - much help? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2013   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Big storm - much help?

Well, we finally get hammered with snow but most of it falls at lower elevations.For the Front Range it seems like So.Boulder and Boulder Creek got the most help :27" at Pinecliffe, Nederland 14 " , and Jamestown 17 "( Lefthand and SSV drainage area), most of the rest like Golden 23 " fell below the runs we usually do ( freezing dirty water CC town run Friday -guesstimated 300cfs ?)11inches at Loveland though is good.

If the plains get a lot of precip how does this impact dam releases on the Front Range?Less demand out east equal less water released or they take their allotments regardless?I 'm pretty sure they still have a lot of catching up to do.Still, would rather see the mountains slammed, reservoirs full,and farmers calling for releases.It would be nice to have Union, the town run, Lyons, -and Big Thompson, run for awhile,for once.

Headed back east in two weeks they 're currently getting a deluge,maybe too much for my solo park n Huck /camp and lap plans.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Every storm helps. How much does it change the snow situation, it bumps up SWE by .5-1.5" depending on location.

Plains snow helps farmers. Doubt it has much impact on summer calls as that's more to do with summer precip, temps and runoff.

Low elevation snow on upslopes don't help a lot in feb. Much if the low elevation snow will melt, sublimate, and go into the soil without noticeably changing runoff come may. Late April upslope is different. Low elevation won't get clear creek going at all since temps are too low to melt it quick enough to runoff. Slow melt is well below dry soil water infiltration rates, so slow runoff goes into the soil slowly instead of into the river fast.

The storm did help high elevation pack which feeds runoff.

Minor short term victory, but we are still in really bad shape overall.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #3

Denver,, exhaustion
Agreed everything helps.

Look at the graphs we are still lower than we were last year at this time. (Sorry I would link it, but I'm not that Savy)

Last year we hit march and it just stopped and by April snow levels were dropping.

So keep it coming it all helps
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013   #4

student
Positive thoughts, like you said last year hit march and stopped. 2010 sucked until april and the poudre hit 5 feet. (with some big spring rains) We are getting into the important snow months. I am more than willing to sacrifice my liver to the snow gods for at least an average year if that's what it will take.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #5

Denver, Colorado
Yeah I was half joking about Clear Creek town run only fun in spots at high water or fot tubers/beginners /and people's backyard run in the heat of summer....still 23" should have street runoff if temps rise sudddenly (supposed to be pushing 60 this weekend) ..I pictured some jonser from Arvada scraping down some 2 plus at 271 cfs. of filthy water...well maybe soil gets closer to saturated helping later run off..
Old 02-25-2013   #6

Denver,, exhaustion
We did a Westminster run 2 winters ago like that. The water was black from run off but we did about 5 laps. (Pics were posted here along with a thread about a possible 1st d on the run... I think caspermike pissed on the 1st d parade... But it was a fun couple hours in the middle of winter)

Jonesin' runs are fun.
Old 02-25-2013   #7

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Sno...pdate_snow.pdf

Looks like Durango might be Colorado's best bet this season.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #8

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
fuckin a

we hardly got a dusting with the storm that dumped on the front range
Old 02-25-2013   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Boaters are an optimistic bunch. Once again, Durango does seem to be the place to be. It was nice to see some snow, and obviously it helps, but most areas require around 180%+ of normal precip to reach normal peak snowpack. What are the chances of that? Seems to me that storms like last weekend's are actually normal for this time of year, so to achieve way above normal, we need these types of storms hitting us on a regular basis over the next month or two. A cold and wet spring like 2010 might help get us a decent runoff, but our snowpack is currently way below the so-so snowpack we had in 2010 so I'm not terribly optimistic.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #10

Denver, Colorado
Yeah KSC now is the time for optimism...we can be bummed in April if things don 't improve....30 year normal keeps getting dummied down too, with 3 of 4 years being crap... still. 69 % Is better than 60 % ...we need a late monster storm and "average " snowfall from here on out to have a "good " season,..at this point just hoping to avoid lousy....