Big South levels and hike-in information wanted - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-10-2009   #1

Knoxville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1995
Big South levels and hike-in information wanted

Hello all,

We're hoping for some redemption of missing out on the CB creeks during our paddling road trip from TN. We're currently hanging with a friend in Greeley and are hoping to get on the lower section of Big South before heading back east on Sat morning.

Do you think BS below the confluence of Wierd running?

I paddled it back in 01 and remember that the road doesn't typically open until later in the summer. I assume it's still closed - is that correct? If so, can we still drive to the Peterson Lake hike-in trail? Or is the entire road closed from the Hwy 14 turn off?

If we can get to the Peterson Lake hike in trail, how long is the hike? We're the best place to park? We're willing to do some more hiking to get more river, but want to keep the hike reasonable.

Finally, if we can pull this off, anybody want to give it a go tomorrow (Thurs)? We've only got one vehicle.

HUGE thanks for any info you can hook us up with.

alexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009   #2

Breckenridge, Colorado
big south

I was in the area last week, didnt get on the Big south but the guage was lapping onto the upper line on the rock guage. Shoud be running fine...but the road from the highway is all closed. If you were to hike from the highway to the peterson lake putin its probably about 5 miles on the road.
freeheelintodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #3

Boulder, Colorado
The road to Peterson Lake is blocked by the same gate. If you wanted to hike in, you'd just follow the trail from the Take out at Big South camp ground.

The other option is to launch at Trailridge rd and do an overnight. Bitch of a shuttle, and aI bet there is precious little water up there. You might be hiking until a few tributaries kick in; maybe 2-5 miles, but at least it would be downhill.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009   #4

Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
I heard Trail Ridge is closed today b/c of snow.

whats up dave? Foley
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #5

Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
things are still pretty high in there right now - pretty much all the water in the upper canyon (above the little south) is coming down the big south - almost nothing is getting released down joe wright or through the tunnel

going in from trail ridge (if open) is an awesome way to do it, but I bet things are pretty low up there - you'll want to time your arrival in the source to be mid afternoon and try to get all the way to weird creek to camp so you don't have to deal with morning source levels

hiking up longdraw would be THE gnar

hike up the trail is easy - and if you run from say slideways to the bottom of spencer through the rush, or even from the top of the rush, you'd have a pretty charging run on your hands
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #6

Breckenridge, Colorado
another option?

I was just messing around with some mapping software and was wondering if anyone has hiked in from Barnes Meadow Res. There appears to be a 1 mile hike with only 50 feet of elevation difference to Double Trouble.
freeheelintodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #7

Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeheelintodd View Post
I was just messing around with some mapping software and was wondering if anyone has hiked in from Barnes Meadow Res. There appears to be a 1 mile hike with only 50 feet of elevation difference to Double Trouble.
that could be the ticket - should not be any snow that low anymore
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #8

Kingston, WA
Paddling Since: 2000
YO Alex, yall are already back on the front range? Hope that you werent totally skunked.

I am up for any of these options but could probably only swing Friday out of work.

Nate and I were talking about hiking down from Trail Ridge and making it an overnighter, would you be interested? Im interested any of the options suggested though. Give me a call and let me know what your plans are,

Adam
865 696 7658
303 642 0130
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #9

Knoxville, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
YO Alex, yall are already back on the front range? Hope that you werent totally skunked.

I am up for any of these options but could probably only swing Friday out of work.

Nate and I were talking about hiking down from Trail Ridge and making it an overnighter, would you be interested? Im interested any of the options suggested though. Give me a call and let me know what your plans are,

Adam
865 696 7658
303 642 0130
Yeah, we got into Greeley last night and are crashing with a good friend of Clay's that teaches at Northern CO. We were in Aspen and CB weather forecast suggested no OBJ, no Daisy (and that's the way it turned out). We saw water in the Poudre, so we made the hard decision to skip CB and came here.

We have to point the car east no later than early afternoon on Sat, if we're in the Denver area, earlier if up here. We didn't bring overnight self-support gear - so a BS overnighter is out. Sounds kinda high too, maybe higher than we'd want anyway. Hike up from the bottom sounds like more than we want

Not sure what we're gonna do the next couple of days. Suggestions? Give us a call.

Everyone else, huge thanks for the beta!
alexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #10

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The overnight trip is really good. But, be prepared to run the unknown (levels, wood, distance, etc), with a really heavy boat. I did this trip a few years ago and it's not easy...

Good fun though. I believe that Frank was on the same trip with me.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote