Big South... keep your eyes open... - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-14-2008   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Big South... keep your eyes open...

To all that plan to run the BS...

As mentioned in several posts, there are clean lines through the whole run, but let me say, there is still a bunch of wood in there. This is evidenced by 1 very scary close call we had yesterday, as well as a lesser, but still sketchy climb out of boat onto a log with another situation. I also heard of several other situations that developed with other groups once we got to the takeout.

If you know the run, as you approach the last IV-(ish) rapid prior to Prime Time proper... there is a long log that is pointing upstream from river right. It funnels you right into the shore which is not good where it is located and then under it which has branches still... As you are coming down it's easy to stay left, but only if you start that way from the top. If you are going right from the top, you are going into it... period.

There are several logs that at "medium levels" (yesterdays flows) are JUST below the surface. These are going to continue to get more sketchy as levels even slightly lower. One guy in our group didn't make it over one, current grabed his stern, flipped him upside down and under the log in his boat. One of the worst situations that can develop on a river. He was fortunate to get out, and swam under the log to get out. Yes... very scary indeed.

Some of the worst wood is in the last mile, once you get to the III+(ish) section. Keep alert till you are carrying your boat is my opinion.

All in all, as I started, there are clean lines, and damn they are good...

The Big South is my all time favorite run in Colorado and each time I get in there, I am always reminded of it. Get in there and get after it!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Speaking of keeping your eyes peeled.. was the rope that was lost during the Double Trouble log extraction every recovered?
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #3

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Not calling you a liar Marty or anything but wood situation was clean as of today. Two logs you had to go under but in very calm pools and the usual biggin go left log. No wood in primetime is sweet! And I second the get some, come get some with me the rest of the week you all.

Frenchy, the rope is in the middle of the river stuck in something a little ways down. I thought it was a long branch at first. Not doing anythin dangerous right now (calm water)
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008   #4
JJH

The flow today was lower than Sunday per Andy and Jacob's back to back days. The painted rock gauge was at the second yellow line (medium side of low). All the rapids were still in but Bouncin, Fantasy and Bonk were all on low flow alert. Thanks for the hardwork yesterday to clean out double trouble. Made our run in a little under 4 hours like a walk in the park. We had no log issues and were able to limbo under two.

There is a rafting paddle stuck in a stick pile about a third of the way down prime time on the right.. I thought I was in Poudre Park for a minute. I did see some photos of the raft going down Double Trouble from the South Carlina guys. Sweet. Way to get it done.. Is that a first D?

The rope is in a pool about 100 yards below Double Trouble.

Someone also left half of a red boat on the trail out, in a million little slivers.
JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #5

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
I'll offer a sixer of new belguims finest to whoever picks up my throw bag and rope. It got droped while trying to get the log out of double trouble. It shouldn't be a safety hazard but I'd love to get'er back.
Old 07-15-2008   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
"Someone also left half of a red boat on the trail out, in a million little slivers."

Looked like dagger plastic to me.
It was there before I walked out. I saw a purple jackson being dragged, without leaving so much as a sliver; same with the red one that I dragged out afterwards.

The wood is all easy to miss if you are paying attention, but can get serious real quick if you are slacking. I watched a guy in front of me get too close to the one in prime time. Instead of watching my own line I worried about his and went right into it. I was able to hang on to the branches and climb up onto the pair of logs, hook a rope to the boat and climb to safety. Definitley a tense moment as i got ready to pull the skirt.

The big log below slideways, that has been there for at least 11 years (probably 30), got another victim in our group. Right before my eyes the lead boater failed to go over it and got pinned upstream, head down. I was able to drop my paddle and briefly pull his head above water, before flushing past, sans paddle and joining the carnage. Fortunately he was able to exit and go under the log to safety. Briefly lost all of my gear. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I suppose I should work on that hand roll...

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH View Post
There is a rafting paddle stuck in a stick pile about a third of the way down prime time on the right.. I thought I was in Poudre Park for a minute. I did see some photos of the raft going down Double Trouble from the South Carlina guys. Sweet. Way to get it done.. Is that a first D?
It is a first D to the best of my knowledge and a bit of research. Anyone out there know otherwise?

Also, if anyone of the twenty or so cameras has a good picture or two of the raft on Double Trouble I would greatly appreciate a copy.

Keith
pearen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Mertle?
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #9

I got some more Ill post on my blog thanks Fort Col boaters....all were cool as shiat!
JayB85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #10

Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
I'll offer a sixer of new belguims finest to whoever picks up my throw bag and rope. It got droped while trying to get the log out of double trouble. It shouldn't be a safety hazard but I'd love to get'er back.
We bagged your bag today - Nathan has it.

Marty
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote